'65 Front Suspension

I'm tyring to replace the front coil springs on my '65 coupe. I've gotten the old ones off but can't figure out how to get the new ones in. I've gotten a spring compressor, but the threaded rod comes out the bottom to far to seat the spring on the lower mount. Does anyone know any tricks or easier ways to put these silly things in? Any help would be greatly appreatiated. Thanks, Rusty

Reply to
Rusty

Rusty,

Reverse the spring compressor and tighten it down as much as you can, insert the threaded rod up through the top of the shock tower. A little tricky to get it out afterwards, but it can be done with a little patience...................

Bill S.

Rusty wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

How do I remove the compressor? It has a 1/2 drive socket welded on it. Rusty

appreatiated.

Reply to
Rusty

I cannot say I've ever seen one like that, most have a 3/4 nut welded to the bottom that you can get to with a large wrench, but a socket, never.....The only other thing you can do is tighten it up just enough to get the spring seated in the lower perch, the a combination of jacking up the control arm, while decompressing the new spring from the top, all at the same time. It is going to be real tight, but it can be done. This will be a two or three person job. Otherwise, I suggest buying or borrowing the proper spring compressor and doing it right the first time.

Bill S.

Rusty wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I've done that job a few times. It takes some patience, but it obviously can be done. Make sure the spring compressor is as far up in the spring as it will go. Also, I placed a piece of pipe between the first spring catch and the bolt head; so it moves the two spring catches further down the threaded rod. You could accomplish the same thing by cutting a couple inches off the end of the threaded rod. I'll send you a picture of mine if I can find it.

Reply to
.boB

I use a more complex but easier approach. I drop the the spindle off the control arm and let it drop down out of the way. I remove the top "hooks" from the spring compressor and use a short 2x4 with a hole in it instead. Place the 2x4 on top of the shoch tower, run the long bolt through the 2x4, down into the tower, through the spring and into the lower "hooks" as far down the spring as possible. Run out the slack and make sure the spring is seated at the top, then tighten it all down and the control arm can be put back into position. Untighten the spring slowly and it will go right back onto the perch perfectly. The whole thing takes about 20 minutes.

-Pat-

Reply to
Mustang_66