YJ Suspension Noise Question

Hi All,

1992 YJ, stock, 2.5L (hardtop)

Just had the shocks replaced on my jeep. While the ride is better, the thumping noise and jumping I experience when going over bumps is still there (although definately better than before the shock replacement).

I still have the original springs, but they look solid, as do the shackles and U-bolts. The suspension stops are not beat up. I'm not sure where to look next, can someone give me some hints about what could be causing this?

TIA

Cheers, Ed Humphries Atlanta, Georgia

Reply to
edh3007

Tighten your front and back trackbar mounting bolts and transmission mount. Sometimes these get loose and cause the thumping you describe.

Reply to
reconair

Check: Trackbar bushings, sway bar bushings, leaf spring bushings, and all of the nuts and bolts attaching all of the above.

Let us know what one fixes it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Thanks for the replies. This is good input for me and I'll start looking at these things today.

A question though: how do I check the leaf spring bushings? Do I need to drop the ends (one at a time I'd guess) and press out the old bushings to inspect? If I commit to doing that, wouldn't it be better to just go ahead and order a set of bushings and replace all eight?

Also, I'm not clear about what is involved in checking the transmission mount.

Cheers, Ed

Reply to
edh3007

Leaf spring bushings are a big job to replace. Usually, you burn the old ones out with an oxyacetylene torch, and press the new ones in with a threaded rod or a special tool that looks like a threaded rod. Mostly you tell when they need to be replaced by visual inspection. The bushing material appears twisted or split, or is sticking out one side or the other of the spring end. Or the bolt, that goes through the center of the bushing, is obviously not centered in the spring end.

For the transmission mount, you would look for obvious misalignment of the transmission and transfer case, or looseness in the mounting. A big guy like me would crawl under there, grasp the tail housing, and try to move the transfer case around. A smaller one might use a floor jack or a two-by-four.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Generally, the center bolt for the transmission mount is the one that gets loose and thumps. That bolt pokes out of the skidplate. Grab hold of it with your fingers and see if it jiggles. If so, just tighten it up with a wrench. You may need to reach around with another wrench on top of the skidplate to keep it from moving as you tighten it.

Reply to
reconair

On my `79 CJ-5 the bolts were fine. It was the rubber that gave up and separated entirely -- the only thing keeping the cases on top of the skid plate was the torque snubber bolt.

rec> Generally, the center bolt for the transmission mount is the one that gets

Reply to
Lee Ayrton