'66 Mustang sitting for 4 years...

Hey guys. I have a '66 Mustang that has been sitting for 4 years. A little history first.

It was my college car. After college, I bought a new car to get me to and from work. I put the Mustang in the garage with intention of working on it during the weekends. As you can guess that never happened, and it has been sitting in the garage at my mom's house for 4 years now.

Here is the deal. I wanna start driving it again. I am planning on replacing the wires, spark plugs, and giving her an oil change. The last time I drove it, I had just completed a full break job on it (with great guidance from this board!) I know the tranny has leaked out all the fluid. Long story short, what steps do I need to do before trying to start it again? I am sure the gas has probably turned, and there may be some surface rust (due to my mom's dryer venting into the garage) but what should I do before trying to start her back up? What kind of damage can be done from starting her? Any advice is GREATLY appreaciated. Thanks in advance...

- Scotty

Reply to
Kai

my 67 sat for 12 yrs. I cleaned the tank, blew out the fuel lines, cleaned the carb, changed the oil and fired it up. it did start right up, however, if you want to preoil the engine, pull the distributer and get a long shaft that matches your oil pump drive, and chuck it up in drill and spin the oil pump up. only prob I have had is it will not shift to 2nd automatically, does fine manually. just have to get some miles on it, did it after setting the first time for 3 or 4 yrs.

Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the 2003 world champion drill team Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

the best advice.. Google for a Bill S. reply on this topic. I can guarantee quality info. But If you were here 4 years ago, then you know of who I speak.

I sure hope my car doesn't ever have to sit for 4 years. but its well on its way.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

You'll need to get new tires. Tires that have been sitting for long periods get hard, and won't grip well. Change the oil, and use a pre-oiler to get some lube into the valve train. I'd probably pull the spark plugs, and squirt a couple of cc's of motor oil in there to promote ring sealing. You need to get all the old gas out of there. Drain the tank, blow out the lines, and empty out the carb float bowl. Clean the battery and starter contacts.

It's really not as much work as it sounds. And if it's an older engine that you plan on replacing, it's probably too much work. My '66 sat in the back yard for nearly 3 years. I made sure the gas tank was full, and had plenty of fuel stabilizer in it. I charged the battery, turned the key, and drove it out of the yard.

Reply to
.boB

Depending on where you are, I would first put a 15/16" socket on a long breaker bar, stick it on the nose of the crank and see if I could turn the engine over by hand. If you can, then drain the gas tank, blow out the lines and put in fresh fuel. Check the carb, might want to have it rebuilt. Get some tranny oil in it before starting it up. If it's a C-4, a couple of quarts should be fine. It would be a good idea to pre-oil as described else ware, but I have known guys who just spun the engine over with the starter to build oil pressure. May have to go through the ignition, cap, rotor, wires and plugs. Keep an eye on engine temp, may need a t-stat. Good Luck Bill

Reply to
Bill

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger