Preformance Question

2002 mustang,V-6 , Convertible, Premium package. When she was new she scooted, (not bad for a six) Now at 49000 miles she is starting to act sluggish. How many miles do cats last for? (I punched the other day and she bogged) I wonder if I should do the major tune up now and not wait for the 100,000. mile plug change? I have run full synthetic for about five changes now. She seems happy but.. Any Thoughts? Should I change cats, Plugs,Oxygen sensors Or wait and trade her in for the 2005 next year? Thanks for your thoughts..
Reply to
Billstein

A tune up definitely wouldnt hurt. Change out the plugs, wires, O2 sensors, fuel filter, etc. I wouldnt think the cats would need replacing.

-Franklin '96 Cobra

Reply to
WhyteStang

Billstein opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

I'm pretty sure that YOUR EEC would turn on the lite if you had a cat problem

Just a curious question... what brand gas have you been using? And where do you buy it.

I dont care WHAT those "experts" say.... all gas is NOT the same. Even if it seems to come from the same hauler.

I use Speedway/SuperAmerica/Marathon almost exclusively.. BP sometime but ALWAYS from a high volume station.

In over 750kmiles, on many cars,I've only had cats fail ONCE.. and that was right after I filled at a corner Citgo/Convenience store.. low volume seller and NOT a major brand in my area.. so the gas could have come from anywhere and the hauler probably screwed up the additive mix.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The warranty on emission control stuff (cats) is like well past 50K.

Pull a plug and take a look. If they look okay, and you decide to change them anyways you're only out a few bucks anyways.

Depends on your pocket book. You'll lose your ass trading it in in

2005, but that's your call.

First, I'd run some fuel injector cleaner through it and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, I'd do the basic tuneup stuff.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Thanks for all the replys, As for the type of fuel used, Chevron , 76, Mobil, Shell, I'll try the injecter cleaner first. And check plugs and then go from there.. Thanks Again Bill

Reply to
Billstein