67 Mustang won't go into reverse

Year: 1967 Engine: 289 V8 Transmission: 3 speed automatic

I started my car this morning and after a brief period of warming up, put it into reverse. Low and behold, the car did nothing, or rather acted like it was in Neutral. After testing I found all the forward gears work as suspected, but it still won't engage in reverse. If anyone has any insight as to probable causes and fixes, please let me know.

Thank you in advance

Reply to
Lo Ruhamah

You're welcome.

Oh, I guess you want to know that the reverse band in yur C4 trans broke. Rebuild time.

Reply to
CobraJet

You have to pull back on the reins and say softly "back... back up now" Hope you get it fixed, sounds expensive.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

"SVTKate"

Probably in the $500-$700 depending on who does it.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Thanks all for the advice, Just wanted to make sure that is what happened. Actually I've been waiting for something like this to happen for sometime (My excuse to change to a manual transmission).

Reply to
Lo Ruhamah

Short stroke engines work much better with sticks. It will be worth the effort.

Reply to
CobraJet