Nissan Altima 2000 Automatic Transmission Recall?

The automatic transmission on my Nissan Altima 2000 (137,000 km) had a glitch the other day. It wouldn't engage in reverse fully one morning at zero degrees Celsius outside and I got stuck in my driveway.

I pushed it around in neutral, and it would go forward without any problem but there was (almost) no torque for the reverse. The problem is NOT in the linkage, both P and R were properly positioned on the tranny housing and when flicked to "R" one could feel the tranny tried to engage but there was no effect in terms of torque available.

After it heated up a bit it would go in reverse only very slowly, as if it was slipping. I checked the fluid (it was NOT burnt) and it was at the low mark (after idling on flat surface for 10 mins). I then added

500ml ATF which made the level rise to the top mark. After about 20 mins fooling around with it, the problem almost went away, but intermittently, it would sometimes fail to provide torque for the reverse, other times it was OK. The zero reverse torque event did NOT re-occur since.

I took it to a tranny shop for an estimate and they told me it is positively an internal tranny problem, likely a seal, since the reverse section has no consistent pressure.

I was wondering if there is anybody with similar experience on Altima

2000 and whether there is a NISSAN RECALL on this problem. I don't think one should pay for tranny overhaul $2000+ after only 5 years...

Any insight will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

pls remove the NOSPAMPLEASE from email address.

Reply to
Jopki Jopa

Recalls are mandated when there is determined to be a safety defect or failure to meet emissions standards. A faulty transmission is neither. Sometimes a car manufacturer will be sufficiently embarassed about egregious failures to extend the warranty on something. I found no reference to ANY transmission recall or campaign when I searched Alldata.

Perhaps, but its not that uncommon. If the mileage on your car is relatively low and you can show Nissan you have kept it well-maintained they MIGHT cover some or all of the cost to repair/overhaul the transmission on a one-time good-will basis. It can't hurt to ask.

Don Don's Automotive Austin, Texas

Don