7-Speed Manuals:Coming to a Performance Car Near You

I don't know if you guys have seen, but Porsche is now offering a 7- speed manual on their new[est] 911. The box offers 6 "sports ratios" and 7th is an overdrive. Porsche says the extra ratios improve fuel economy. Anyone want to bet we won't see a 7-speed gearbox in a Mustang in the near future?

On a similar note, Chrysler will soon offer an 8-speed auto (Lexus is the only other company I know that offers one) in their LX sedans, AND, here's the big news, supposedly a 9-speed unit is on the way.

We sure are living in a fast-paced automotive world. It wasn't that long ago 3-speed autos dominated the market for YEARS, decades actually. Same with 14-inch and 15-inch tires/wheels. Rear disc brakes, fuel injection, multi-valve heads IRS were/was racing/high- tech/exotic stuff. Sure makes you wonder what we'll see in the decades to come.

Patrick .

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

Will it seem so great when they need rebuilding?? I have to wonder how much is driven by marketing versus real need.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher