A NoOption Boss 302 is no longer good enough

Mark Phelan raves about the new Boss 302. "Best handling... sweetest exhaust note... sheer joy." But... no iPod connection, no Sync, no navigation system, and it could use more "storage cubbies."

I might disagree. This is the Boss 302, not a daily-driver V6 model (in the Premium, please - gotta have those multi-colored interior lights). How many of these are going to be the primary means of transportation, where a hands-free cellphone is almost required?

Now, don't get me wrong. My wife's Escape has all the goodies, and I think they're pretty cool. It's even entertaining, sometimes, when trying to communicate with the electronics via voice command, and I'm sure that being able to push one button and say "Call So-and-so" helps in keeping the vehicle under control. The Escape has cupholders everywhere, and plenty of little "cubbies" to stick things (and, obviously, forget about them), but that's an Escape.

Even in my old piece-o'-crap TFrog, the rule is "take it in, take it out." Nothing gets left behind in the car, thus no need for "cubbies." TFrog has an AM/FM stereo cassette, but only the AM news station gets any use. Otherwise, TFrog makes its own stereo. Hands-free cellphone? Don't even bother trying to call me when I'm driving. I won't answer.

Again, maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I don't see any need in a Boss 302 for the latest electronic amenities. Am I wrong?

dwight

dwight

After reading that article, I had this feeling that "He", was "A dumb blonde chick" that wrote it?

Reply to
Gill

These comments are so irritating to me, it's hard for me to respond without losing my temper. But I'll try... I'll try not to use any vulgarities.

These are the types who dilute specialty/track cars. The same types that softened the original GT350 and bloated the GT500. Wah, I demand my Boss 302 deliver a freaking "living-room experience". To them I say go sit on your leather couch, turn on your home stereo, grab your cell phone and fire-up your X-box or PlayStation and play video racing games and yak on the phone with your buds. They can leave the keys to the Boss 302 to those who get almost orgasmic from burbling exhaust notes, engine screams at red line and the G-forces and don't need gizmos to 'heighten the fun'. .

Exactly!

You're right on point. Hell, next these types will want a pickup truck bed attached to their Boss 302 so they can load up a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood at Lowes. And why not replace the confining Recaro seats with a Craftmatic adjustable bed for total comfort. And, really, would it be that tough to install a 32" flat screen TV in the dash so they can watch movies while driving/racing? Oh, and don't forget some TV monitors mounted on the back of the head rests for those rear passengers, because a backseat and a wheelbase extension of 12 inches for added rear leg room has to be on the "to-do" list, right? And where's the mini fridge? Got to give 'em a place to keep their soft drinks and snack food cold. A mini freezer would be really cool. That way they can pack some ice cream for track days. And come to think of it, why not start offering a coffee maker. Seems they could fit one in the console somewhere --save them trips to Starbucks. .

I too hate any extra crap in/left in the car. Ignition key, floor mats and garage door opener -- -- that's it.

No.

I say that stuff is fine in a sedan, SUV, or other driving appliance. But not in a car like the Boss 302. The Boss 302 is purposely built to be a race car you can drive on the street. Fluff isn't in that formula.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

I agree, I don't WANT nave and computer controlled sync and all that. Not at all, especially on a Boss Mustang. Don't want an iPod connector, but a USB port for music would be appreciated.

Reply to
WindsorFo

I really expected the BOSS 302 to not be so stark. I figured it would be like a '69 BOSS 302 compared to a Mach 1 with regards to comparison to a GT premium.

Reply to
Brent

I'm very glad the Boss 302 is so stark. But I'm afraid profits will soon trump philosophy and loaded-up/bloated versions will become the new Boss.

Too bad they're not developing a stark version of the GT500 for the drag racing enthusiasts. Love to see a return of a [street version] Cobra Jet.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

On behalf of the "dumb blonde chicks" of the world... "OUCHE!!"

I mean, where the heck would we be without "dumb blonde chicks" at the track, on the strip, sports events. Hell, just leaning over the fender of any Mustang while we dive head first into the source of power?

And, on behalf of all the SMART, Mustang driven, nut turrning, HP thirsty blonde chicks.... on behalf of NoOption, I apologize :0)

Reply to
D E Willson

Instant collectable marketing dictates the BOSS 302 won't be offered long enough for that to happen. I'm somewhat surprised the GT500 is still sold, although it has lost the premiums in most cases.

Not many people liked dog dish hubcaped 428SCJ hardtops back in the day and that is still true. But back in the day someone could order their car pretty finely detailed. That doesn't exist today.

Reply to
Brent

For those who have been around Mustangs since the beginning, they were just Falcons with a sport body. Consumers drove them to enlarge the engine well for bigger engines. Consumers drove Ford to increase the options and to make them more comfortable. From a "secretary's car" they grew into the Torino. The same is likely for the Boss.

I'm up in years. I still enjoy being pushed down into the seat, but I do like my comforts, too. Cruisin' the coast highway or up through the mountains with some tunes. The cell phone is there for emergencies only. Don't need an iPhone or Blackberry. Don't need a cigarette lighter or ash tray. A cup holder comes in handy, along with a cubby for my beef jerky. The cooler is handy. With those simple tools, I can go for miles and miles in shear joy, slipping through the gears and slipping past those slow pokes.

Somehow or other, I learned to read a map and road signs, so I don't need GPS, especially when I am just hitting the road for the shear pleasure of driving.

Cheers for Texas and the new 85mph speed limit!

By the way, what is the differnce between an iPod connector and a USB connector? Essentially, are they not performing the same duty?

NYTMARE has an AM-FM-Cassette changer with iPod, USB, etc, connectors. Sometimes I use 'em, sometimes I don't.

Reply to
D E Willson

With the millennium generation, who seem to prefer balanced performance over brutal acceleration, you got to wonder if the brains in Ford see the Boss 302 being THE Mustang to garner continued respect from those who worship at the alter of BMW's M3. Make sense? If not, let me keep going. Perhaps the Boss 302 will stick around because it best displays the M3-competitor image Ford most wants to cultivate in the minds of younger buyers.

premiums in most > cases.

And I haven't heard anything about it going away. (Which means another nice entry in the future used car market!)

Maybe it's just me, but I know/see plenty of folks who go goo goo gah gah over stripper, "dog-dish hubcaped" muscle cars. Or is it just cases of 'love it, but can't live that way. I need my options'?

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

M3's are nice inside so I understand...

premiums in most > cases.

It's because they are seen as 'odd' or 'different'. Lots cars have been restored with all sorts of options that they didn't have when they left the factory.

Reply to
Brent

C/D: You=E2=80=99re the son of a car salesman?

JB: For 34 years, my dad managed dealerships in Delaware. Mostly GM, but he did run a Chrysler operation and for a short time also sold Fords in Wilmington. He was bringing cars home all that time. I remember my senior prom, being able to take a 7000-mile Chrysler 300D off the lot.

C/D: Which cars do you most recall?

JB: I bought a =E2=80=9951 Studebaker. My dad thought it was nice and calm, but it had that overdrive, and it was fast. Then I bought a 1952 Plymouth convertible, candy-apple red with a split windshield. I think that was my favorite. I had a =E2=80=9956 Chevy, then in college I bought a

100,000-mile Mercedes 190SL with those Solex carburetors that never functioned. And I still have my 1967 Goodwood-green Corvette, 327, 350- horse, with a rear-axle ratio that really gets up and goes. The Secret Service won=E2=80=99t let me drive it. I=E2=80=99m not allowed to drive any= thing. It=E2=80=99s the one thing I hate about this job. I=E2=80=99m serious. C/D: Any cars recently zing you?

JB: My brother has one of those 556-hp [CTS-V] Cadillacs with a manual. He brought it down for me to eat my heart out. So I got in. I have a driveway that=E2=80=99s about 1700 feet long. I knew the Secret Serv= ice wouldn=E2=80=99t let me drive it outside. So I jumped on that sucker and la= id rubber. =E2=80=89A great feeling. That thing could probably beat my Corvett= e.

C/D: =E2=80=89Sadly, we must ask about the Onion story. While shirtless, ha= ve you ever washed a 1981 Pontiac Trans Am in your driveway?

JB: [Laughing] You think I=E2=80=99d drive a Trans Am? I have been in my bathing suit in my driveway and not only washed my Goodwood-green 1967 Corvette but also simonized it. =E2=80=89At least the Onion should have had= me washing a Trans Am convertible. I love convertibles.

For the rest of interview go here;

Patrick

Reply to
dwight

SNIP

That is true. I have improved my 65 FB with bucket seats that don't start leaning backward, 3 point seatbelts, stereo (which did exist, but I added a CD changer and connects for USB/IPod). Mine came from the plant with standard front disc/rear drums, 14in steel wheels, single bowl master brake cylinder, manual steering. I now have 16" mags (era correct mod) dual bowl master cylinder, power assisted brakes, power R&P steering. However, just a casual look at the car and nothing really stands out inside or out. Yet, with technology which wasn't available when my car was built, it's now safer and far more comfortable to drive. Even the lighting has been improved with LEDs inside and out, so those other cars can see me, and I can see down a dark road. :0)

Reply to
D E Willson

Sounds like a nice car. Got pics?

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

I do. I even have the video of when it was Courtney Hansen's Pick of the Month on Spike TV's Power Block in June 05

Reply to
D E Willson