'88 GT start-up problem

My '88 GT just started acting up on me this past week. I recently replaced: coil, plug wires, cap and rotor, 02s, intake manifold gaskets, coolant temp sensor, and the air charge sensor. It ran great for a few weeks but now it won't idle in the morning when I first start it up. It dies 2 or 3 times bfore idling on it's own. I googled for an answer and it sounds like the problem lies in the IAC. I went to Autozone to have the codes read but nothing showed up. Of course, that was on an engine that was already running well and warmed up. I'll be putting it in the shop in a couple weeks for a heater core (local mechanic that does great work on all my vehicles) and will have him run diagnostics while it's there. I just wanna know if there is a simple cure for my problem.

Thanks for your input, Gary

Reply to
Gary Nichols

Rick

Thanks, Rick, for the fast reply. My 5 year old gives me crap every morning on the way to school. He thinks dad's car is broken and he won't make it to school on time.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Nichols

Try cleaning the throttle body and butterfly plate with a soft toothbrush and some TB cleaning spray. Also, check the EGR valve; sometimes they get crud built up on the seat face, allowing them to hang open just enough to cause an erratic idle.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Reply to
JD Adams

Thanks, JD. I cleaned the TB earlier in the year, but I run a K&N so it's probably a little dirty again.

Reply to
Gary Nichols

Even using OEM air filters, the throttle body gets really dirty, and the engine won't idle worth a damn. I clean mine 2X year just like Kate, and it has always idled silky-smooth. (So much for that magical $69.95 throttle body cleaning service at most shops - I do my own in 10 minutes for free, sans bathroom time.)

Double-check your PCV valve, throttle body and EGR. All must be clean and properly working to enjoy good idle performance. There are other items that can be at fault, however these are the most common problems.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Reply to
JD Adams

Must be the EGR. I cleaned the TB, Checked the PCV valve and looked/listened for leaks. Still has trouble staying running for the first start-up of the day. My alternator is noisy and the gauge reads lower than normal but would that keep it from starting/ idling correctly in the morning?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Nichols