89 HO smell gasoline

Hello, I have a 1989 Mustang GT vert. Lately, when I shut off the engine, I can smell a strong gasoline odor. I don't see anything leaking to the floor. Any suggestions on what I should look at? Thanks.

Reply to
Howard Mora

It could be leaking on to somethin hot and evaporating which is why=20 you smell it so strongly, or it could be the charcoal cannister full of=20 gas if you have always topped it off too much when you get gas over the=20 years. I have a van at work that does that because the guy that drove it =

for years before me used to keep clicking ght pump until gas came all=20 the way up the neck.

--=20 "I get the impression that Jamie is a papusa or two short of a combination plate." - Kent Wills

"So you think AUK is some kind of really tight knit CABAL? ROTFLMAO! Its a bunch of lazy tossers with too much time on their hands and few friends. WELCOME TO USENET. Drive thru please..." - =A7=F1=FChw=A4=A3f

Reply to
WindsorFox-{SS}-

If you don't see any external leaks it could be one or more leaky injectors.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I had that issue once. Turned out to be a bad coil.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Wait, what???

--=20 "I get the impression that Jamie is a papusa or two short of a combination plate." - Kent Wills

"So you think AUK is some kind of really tight knit CABAL? ROTFLMAO! Its a bunch of lazy tossers with too much time on their hands and few friends. WELCOME TO USENET. Drive thru please..." - =A7=F1=FChw=A4=A3f

Reply to
WindsorFox-{SS}-

yer canaster may not have the vacuume hose on it, the little elbow in rubber expands, falls loose, no replacements for it from anybody yet.

Reply to
noman

Oops, should have added when the car was running and shortly after it was shut off.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I've had both a leaky fuel injector and a rotted line from the vapor recovery canister give me that problem. Look at the tops of the injectors, see if you can find one that is significantly dirtier than the rest and looks to be damp on the top. Also give your lines on the vapor recovery canister the wiggle test to see it they are cracked and leaking.

Reply to
Ironrod