Strong gasoline smell when heater is on

I am experiencing a strong gasoline odor when I shut my 1985 Chevy S10 Blazer V6 engine 4x4 off and also sometimes while drivng with the heater on. No visible signs of gasoline on my driveway.... this problem comes and goes and can sometimes be strong to weak depending on the temperature outside. Where is this charcoal canister that collects gas vapors, which I think could be the problem.... what else should I check?

Reply to
don

I would check the fuel line VERY carefully. Check the pump over as well. If that is the original pump I would suspect a diaphragm failure due to age and ethanol. Same with other parts of the system that are not ethanol compatible. Basically any rubber lines and rubber parts in the carb as well.

The easy way is to wipe it clean with a towel then dust it with baby powder or flour. Then start it and look for damp spots. This works for most fluid leaks if they are hard to spot. Then you just wash it off once you have the leak located.

Reply to
Steve W.

Be very carefull of that Charcoal Cannister (and think hard on making replacement of it)

There is a bag in that metal can that holds the charcoal dust, and when that bag fails (and it does in time) ...

your whole engine and pollution 'ventilation' system will fill with coal dust making it gum up .. and then it is trash the engine; IMO of course.

When the engine is off, the electricity is off, and the electric fuel pump is no longer pressuring the fuel line ... suppose to be zero pressure at that time.

Since you are in the engine science of seeing it to be temperature connected .. then you got a Pollution control device going out.

My guess it would be the EGR filling up with carbon in doing its job in the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system .. and it is stuck putting gas mileage off.

If so .. then the Fix ... is to replace the EGR I am sorry to say.

There is no cleaning it .. it needs a new one so as to fill up with carbon again so your engine runs better and it returns to normal gas mileage performance.

Smell goes away ... blah blah blah ...

Sometimes this problem is the EGR and 'another valve' in the PCV system.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

Reply to
Alan B. Mac Farlane