Smell of Gasoline ('99 Wrangler Sahara)

Folks,

My Jeep started to give off a strong smell of gasoline, coming from the left (driver) side -- middle section. The smell comes from somewhere outside the cabin, in front of the refueling opening (not from the opening itself,) possibly from the upper area of the fuel tank. The smell is noticeable shortly after starting the engine, and continues for as long as the engine is running and for about two hours after engine shut-down. There are no obvious gas leaks. Has anybody else experienced the same? Any suggestions? Obviously, I need to get this thing fixed immediately due to fire hazard. Would be helpful to know the possible cause before taking the Jeep to the dealer/mechanic.

Thanks for any help, Hovav Frenkel San Antonio, TX

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Reply to
Hovav Frenkel

Just a thought, but it sounds like you might have a problem with the evaporative emissions system, likely a loose or crimped vent line.

Reply to
SoK66

If you do not see fuel on the ground check your hoses to your charcol canister it is up behing the rear fender well more than likely your purge hose is dry rotted, replace them all at ths point.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

This would be my thought because, soon as you start it there is a bit of vacuum applied to the cannister. The vacuum is supposed to remove the HC (unburnt fuel) from it.

Reply to
RocknTJ

If you have a canister problem it should set off a code and very likely set off the 'check engine' light. The canister is under the hood on the fender. I am not sure if you can get the codes yourself on a 99 using the key, someone else here should know for sure.

There are a bunch of fittings in the area you mention, there is a roll over check valve and a fluid trap in the line to the canister which is the vent. Also the tank to frame line connections are hoses with clamps. Could maybe be a loose connection or a broken hose there somewhere. I would be thinking vent line because it doesn't leak also.

The filler hose also has a vent line. Maybe it's loose or cracked?

Mike

Hovav Frenkel wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Wow this is weird, I too have the same exact thing and was going to post on it today!... I have had a slight smell of gas (noticeble more when i have the jeep in the garage and it is closed) and i just thought i might have leaked a bit after my last fill up, that has been going on for about 2 weeks.. and today my check engine light came on.. i did the key trick for the diag code and got 'P 1486' which is "pinched of blocked hose in the evaportative hose system" How do i fix this? is it it urgent?

Kurt

Reply to
batlinsj

Figure it is your gas tank vent.

If it has a hole in a line, gas can leak if the tank is over full or tipped.

If it is blocked, it can cause tank pressure issues. Too much pressure could make smell or blow a fitting, too little pressure and the engine will run out of gas. That happens lots on the old 258's when the air filter for the canister gets mud blocked, they run out of gas.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have an 01' TJ, i took a look under the hood and the jeep.. and i didnt see any indication of gas leak, Does anyobe know which line i should check for blockage? where the char. canister is? How important is it i get this fixed asap?

thank you all Kurt

Reply to
batlinsj

I don't know what kind of troubles it could cause other than the fumes exploding maybe if the furnace in the garage turns on or someone tosses a smoke in the wrong place though I don't think that is likely....

I 'think' the canister on the TJ is a square thing that sits up high on the fender. I could be mistaken there though. On the CJ and YJ the canister is way down low on the fender and it's air filter gets blocked with mud. The fix is a new $2.00 filter on those ones or a good scrape if the mud didn't soak in too bad.

The lines for it run down the drivers side and hook to the tank via a hose from the frame rail to the tank. The front has a hose again from the steel line to the canister. These hoses and fittings can come loose or crack.