9 inch gear swap

I'm performing my first gear swap on a 72 Mustang (9 inch rear end). Quick question - when I remove the ring gear from the differential (by removing the 10 bolts), will the differential fall apart, or is there something else holding it together?

Reply to
lanser1996

Are you sure you should be doing this? I personally hate surprises like that.

Reply to
goodnigh

It could fall apart. Just don't let it. It's not a big deal. If you are a regular "back yard" mechanic, don't try to change the ring and pinion yourself. Remove the center, take it to a real differential shop and let them do it. There are videos on how to do it on eBay. But, you need some special tools, and some luck. Leave it to a professional. Make sure you take it to some one that specializes in rear end work. Most auto repair shops don't. And some that say they do, can't. Ask around. Here is the kind of shop you want:

Al

Reply to
Big Al