Ford 9-inch Third Member

I have a 3rd Member with 3.50 gears, 31 splines and an open differential for sale.

My understanding is that all 9-inch 3rd members are a direct swap, so if you currently have 3.27 gears, you can simply bolt in my 3rd member and have

3.50 gears.

I helped a Marine working on his car, and he stated that his rear end was a

9-inch, but it turns out to have been an 8.8. He had severly worn pinion bearngs, and we intended to simply swap in a new third member and be done. We went to the junk yard and pulled the third member before putting his car on the rack and finding that it did not have this kind of rear end at all.

I have no clue of the history of this unit. We pulled it out of an Econoline van, but if my understanding is correct, the third member will fit any rear end that takes a third member, and if you want it to be limited slip, then you simply install one and get on with life.

If anybody understands any differently, or has an interest in what I have, please feel free to post here.

The data tag on the unit says WEV AZ2 4D09

3 50-9 S716P

The data plate translates according to the following page,

Jeff Strickland

jeff, it is always easier to sell things if you give a price (at least an asking price) in your message.

Like this:

I have a front drive shaft for a 99 Explorer, used, with U joint, and half the CV joint end for sale. First $20 takes it, shipping additional!

(yes, I really do want to sell this thing, if anyone wants it.)

Reply to
PeterD

As near as I can tell, this 3rd member will bolt up to any Ford 9-inch axle. Mine has 31 splines, and you will want your spline count to match, or the axles will not fit.

You can have this fantastic chunk of metal for $150 plus shipping. I'm gonna ESTIMATE the weight at 80 pounds, but the shipper will have to give the exact weight. With the weight of the crate, I'd estimate (for pricing purposes) the weight at 100 pounds, then get good news when it comes in lighter than that. I've seen quotes of $600 for this item, so my price plus shipping sounds good -- unless shipping is crazy expensive.

It is located in 92562, and you're welcome to drive here to pick it up.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Too bad it won't fit in a USPS flat rate box!

I have gotten very good rates from FedEx ground on these types of shipments.

Reply to
PeterD

I had one shipped to me crammed into a 5 gallon paint bucket. I don't recall the shipping cost but it was a lot less then I thought it might be.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

FedEx ground is great. I have shipped brush guards for Hummer H1s that way, across country for about $70. Just shrink wrapped it, stuck a tag on it, and off it went! Buyer emailed told me that it came through just fine!

Reply to
PeterD

I've had a couple tires shipped to me that way too. I was really surprised when the tire got here and basically it was just the tire and some clear wrap around it to hold the shipping papers in place.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

///snipped///

I used to mail tires from Fairbanks to some of the bush villages here in Alaska. Measured the tires and found that they were within the limits set by the Postal Service, so we would put an address label on each tire, go to the Post Office, put the stamps on them, and away they went. Much less expensive than air freight and faster than Parcel Post....

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

Ditto, got four tires a few months ago, just that way. Enough shrink wrap to hold two together as a unit, with a label under the shrink. UPS driver said it was a common to do it that way.

Reply to
PeterD