3.73 gears..

Is there a break-in period for FRPP 3.73 gears? Thx.

-Mike

98 Mustang GT
Reply to
<memset

Depends on if you reuse the old worn out bearings or put new ones in with the new gears.

Reply to
351CJ

Reuse old bearings

What about if I woulda put in new bearings?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset
500 miles unless you used synthetic, then 750miles. change the fluid after the 500/750 miles. Do not drag race or anything like that. Try to do a few drives that are about 30minutes long, then let the gears cool for about 3 hours. You have to warm the metals of the ring/pinion then let them cool so they strengthen.

Brandon

Reply to
indi

Mike, You know I like you right... but... see below

YOU DUMBASSED, IMPATIENT, CHEAPSKATE KID! Pull your head outta your ass and do it right. Damnit!

There now, you have been scolded... you don't want to get slapped too, do you? Arkansas isn't all that far from me you know ;¬D

Either way, yes there is a break in period, I believe it is 100 miles no faster than 55 and no hard driving. Also, after that break in period you need to have the oil changed again to remove anything that has broken loose.

"The Mom"

| > > -Mike | > > 98 Mustang GT | > >

| > Depends on if you reuse the old worn out bearings or put new ones in with | > the new gears. | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

If I'm going to change the oil again... should I just say f*ck Royal Purple this first time & get some cheaper stuff?

See below

HOLY BUHJEEZUS MOMMA! DON'T BEAT ME!! Fuck it. *sigH*.. I've got $200 left & I didn't wanna get bearings.. but FUCK IT I'll get 'em.. my momma told me so.

Feel free to visit, but preferably not to bitch slap me.

kk. Thx. I'll get new bearings too *sigH*. Screw the synthetic lube then... if I'm going to change after the break-in period. Car has 109k miles on it now... I guess re-using old bearings is a retarded idea. I do want the car to last...

-Mike

Reply to
<memset
500 miles? 750 w/ synthetic? Why? I can understand heating up the gears & letting 'em cool... but I don't understand why more w/ a synthetic. I'm not going to break them in w/ a synthetic lube... too costly. I'll break them in with something cheaper & then I'll switch to Amsoil or Mobil 1 full synthetic myself. I appreciate ya though.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

The more miles with the synthetic is because it doesn't get as hot as the non-synth.

This procedure was in a article that I read in Fast Mustangs and Fords...

Also if you want the VERY best advice... give the boys at Randy's Ring and Pinion a call, they are one of the top authorities on all this. I cannot recommend you calling them enough. Heck I have them programmed in my cell... 1-800-292-1031

Brandon

Reply to
indi

Ah I see. Makes sense I suppose. Thanks =)

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

yes. Use just plain ol off the shelf stuff for the break in, then the good stuff later on.

please tell me that you have decided to put in the bearings too Mike....

Kate

| > YOU DUMBASSED, IMPATIENT, CHEAPSKATE KID! | > Pull your head outta your ass and do it right. Damnit! | | HOLY BUHJEEZUS MOMMA! DON'T BEAT ME!! | Fuck it. *sigH*.. I've got $200 left & I didn't wanna get bearings.. but | FUCK IT I'll get 'em.. my momma told me so. | | >

| > There now, you have been scolded... you don't want to get slapped too, do | > you? Arkansas isn't all that far from me you know ;¬D | | Feel free to visit, but preferably not to bitch slap me. | | >

| > Either way, yes there is a break in period, I believe it is 100 miles no | > faster than 55 and no hard driving. Also, after that break in period you | > need to have the oil changed again to remove anything that has broken | loose. | >

| > "The Mom" | | kk. Thx. I'll get new bearings too *sigH*. Screw the synthetic lube then... | if I'm going to change after the break-in period. Car has 109k miles on it | now... I guess re-using old bearings is a retarded idea. I do want the car | to last... | | -Mike | | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Thanks Brandon, I couldn't remember exactly. This sounds like what I remember them telling me when I put mine in.

Kate

| > What about if I woulda put in new bearings? | >

| > -Mike | >

| > > Depends on if you reuse the old worn out bearings or put new ones in | with | > > the new gears. | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

You didn't read below like my other post said... after you bitched me out.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Ahhh... I see it this time. You have to forgive me, my eyes are getting weak, not the ones in the back of my head though kid!

You will be glad you did it right, trust me. It's kind of like sex without a condom.... there would always be that worry... what if????

That;s why I like you kid.. cause you crack me up!

Kate aka: mean ol mom

| > please tell me that you have decided to put in the bearings too Mike.... | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

You're a good kid Mike. Wish MY son would listen once and a while.

It would be kind of cool to get together sometime. If you ever decide to come down here holler at us! We have lots of room :)

Kate

| -Mike | | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

OH! Mike!!! Don't forget to pick up the speedo gear before you have your gears put in. The dealership should have it at about $9 Then they can put it in while your car is still up in the air :)

You just wait, I think the gears were without a doubt the thing I did to my car that I liked the best. It makes SUCH a difference, it's like driving a whole different car.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Mmyesss... age gettin to ya... *RUNS* (both kinds.. you scared me--*changes underwear*). Eyes in the back of your head...... interesting.. wish I could get a pair of those!

*sigH* I'm sure I will be glad I went with the new bearings... i wish there wasn't a 500 mile break-in period though. Pro Speed wants $100 for the "install kit" (bearing kit), so I'm going to O'Reilly & getting a bearing kit there for $75 + tax. I'll let everybody know later how I like the gears as far as RPM goes, etc.

Thanks for the necessary bitch-out, Kate. I know I can count on you for those!! LOL *runs again* (shucks)

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Speedo gear for my 98 GT? I didn't know they had one... I thought SpeedCal was the only way.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Only moms get them. It comes with the loss of your figure LOL

| > You will be glad you did it right, trust me. It's kind of like sex without | a | > condom.... there would always be that worry... what if???? | >

| > That;s why I like you kid.. cause you crack me up! | >

| > Kate | > aka: mean ol mom | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

You have to change the little plastic gear that hooks the cable up to the speedometer at the tranny. Looked for the part number and couldn't find the invoice.

If I remember correctly the one you will need is a burgundy color. They go by colors strangely enough.

Oh and from when I had mine installed they gave me this instruction sheet.

--------------------------------------

Proper break in of ring & pinions

All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15-20 miles you MUST stop and let the differential cool for 30-40 minutes before driving. Drive the first 500 miles gently before towing or hard driving. Tow very short distances (less than 10-15 miles) and let the differential cool before continuing the next

50 miles. To extend the life of ring & pinion bearings it is recommended to change the gear oil after the first 500 miles of driving. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorous coating that has come from the new gear set. Use only high quality name brand gear oil and maintain the correct fluid level at all times. positraction units require anti-friction additive.

ANY overloading or overheating can cause the gear oil to break down and the ring and pinion can fail or can contribute to a shorter life span of the differential.

-----------------------------------

Hope it helps!

My install kit at Summit was $89.95 with free shipping. It was a COMPLETE kit with everything needed to put them in except the speedo gear and oil.

The part number for mine was rat-309svo Ddon't know if yours would be the same, but it may be!

Kate

| > You just wait, I think the gears were without a doubt the thing I did to | my | > car that I liked the best. It makes SUCH a difference, it's like driving a | > whole different car. | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Mike, the speedo gear won't work for the GT T-45 and 3.73's. It'll work in a COBRA T-45 and 3.73's pretty well thanks to a difference in internal drive gears.

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98