95 GT - Loud "Click" when using breaks.

I'm currently test driving a '95 GT. Whenever I press the brakes firmly, I hear this loud "click" which I can feel in my foot. I'm hoping this is by design (ABS), and not a problem. Has anyone experienced this before?

TIA,

-B

Reply to
Baseman

It could one of the pads is loose in the caliper and slides when pressure is applied to the brakes. Usually this is just audible and rarely felt but if it moves the piston back a bit you might feel it somewhat. Now if the it is a repeated clicking and a pulsing in the pedal it may be a warped or cracked rotor. Regardless the brakes sound like they need attention to some degree. StuK

BTW Horsepowered.com sucks yada yada......

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

OK.... you're 'test driving' this car.... tell them that you refuse to buy it until it's fixed. It could be as simple as a missing anti-rattle spring or it could be the harbinger of something a little spendier.

I feel the need to ask why you hope this is by design?

Something I have said many, many times - the cheapest thing you will ever do with a car is buy it......... I bought my first car in 1966 and learned this first hand.

And fer Krissakes..... why are we forever answering anonymous people??????

Reply to
Jim Warman

I'm buying from my father in law. He will fix the issue, but if it isn't an issue, that would be better. I offered to have this checked out.

I should have worded that differently. Sometimes when people experience the feel of ABS brakes... meaning the intermittent acutation or pulses, they think there is something wrong with the break system, but this pulsing is by design. The issue I'm describing feels like ABS, only it pulses only once which doesn't make sense, but I'm not familiar with how the Mustang's ABS works, so this could be by design.

I understand that.

What's the difference? I could post a valid email, but you still wouldn't know or even care who I am.

Thanks.

Reply to
Baseman

When it comes to brakes and steering, if it don't feel 'right', there is an issue........ it doesn't matter if the car wont move.... that can be addressed later.... if it wont stop or turn, you have a real problem and it's usually too late to rethink the effort.... I will add that buying a car from a relative is a real exercise in futility. There WILL be issues with the car and they WILL drive a wedge 'twixt you and 'Dad'.

"Old" ABS systems were, by comparison, pretty crude and could give the neophyte a real education in pedal pulsation. Newer systems are a little more 'civilized' in their driver feedback. If you are on dry pavement and braking normally, the ABS system should never announce it's prescence.

As far as the 'hiding'.... YOU are asking US for advice...... if you would like more advice, you would present yourself the way folks that are helping you would like..... Let's not forget that it is you that forgot some of the salient points to your problem that could help in diagnosing the concern...... I sincerely have knowledge.... if you return with attitude, you will lose a source and I will go about my daily life....

Please notice..... if for some reason you need to contact me off group.... there is the perfect opportunity. If the advice came from snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.com., I would likely disregard the advice in a heartbeat..... YMMV

people??????

Reply to
Jim Warman