Odd noise and stuff

Buddy of mine contacted me today, asking if I knew what was going on with his Jeep. I'm at a loss, hoping someone here might have a suggestion. Here's his description:

"i was driving home from work yesterday, when all of a sudden WHUMP - it was like I applied the brakes hard and quicky...then let off them to keep moving

but since then, whenever I'm moving - I hear this click click clikc click sound that increases as I go faster. Also, I feel the vibration of it when i hold the shifter in my hand..."

The sound only occurs when moving, and increases with speed. Putting the Jeep in neutral does NOT eliminate the sound. Sounded like simply a rock in the tire tread to me, but he apparently verified that's not the case. Suggestions?

Dave

David C. Moller

You sure could be describing a blown u-joint.

You need to block the wheels and put it in neutral to unload the driveshaft and go under and inspect and twist and turn the u-joints.

He has 2 on the back driveshaft, 3 on the front and 1 out near each front wheel.

I suspect the rear from your description.

Mike

"David C. Moller" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

David C. Moller did pass the time by typing:

Stop driving it till you check the drivetrain. My first guess is a U-joint has gone bye-bye.

If a rock is causing vibrations it's going to be a rilly BIG rock. :)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Bill... but would the sound/problem exist even in neutral if that was the case?

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

Thanks Mike/Doug for the ujoint suggestions.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The vehicle moving spins up the transmission from the driveshaft.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

on a similar line, a blown wheel-bearing perhaps ?

Dave Milne

They don't mess around, Blow a bearing and the wheel falls off or flops around big time.

Mike

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ahhhhh I see. Thanks Bill, thanks Mike.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Good idea... hadn't though of that. Much appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller