Accessory Drive Belt -- How Much Cracking is Normal?

I have 45,000 miles on my accessory drive belt that is rated for 60,000 miles. There is cracking on the ribs, parallel to the width of the belt, but the belt is intact. Is this considered normal, or should I replace it?

Thanks, SW

Reply to
Summer Wind

I just found a site that answers my question, so I thought I'd share it.

It looks like the cracking falls into the normal category.

SW

Reply to
Summer Wind

Maybe so, but I keep one in the car anyway just in case.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Some cracking is normal. I would also consider the environment you are in. If it's very hot a lot you probably want to replace it sooner than at 60K. They're not that expensive and it WILL strand you if it breaks on the road.

Reply to
RT

FYI After I replace my first one, I carry the old one in that vehicle as a spare, cheap insurance against being left stranded...

Reply to
351CJ

"351CJ" wrote : : FYI : After I replace my first one, I carry the old one in that vehicle as a : spare, cheap insurance against being left stranded... :

Isn't that something that our dad taught us when we were young? "It'll get you by in an emergency kid." "Better safe than sorry"

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Just replace it. What's the big deal, it isn't that hard; remember your routing and release the tensioner. It's just a belt. I replaced one of ours at 52k. Ratings are guidelines. Rubber particles coming off on my fingers, visible cracks and noise indicates wear, not mileage. Do you want to worry about getting stuck? I sure don't.

-- Wound Up

Reply to
Wound Up