Question about intermittent wipers

One of the features I miss most on the '80 Capri I just bought is intermittent wipers.

Now I have access to a wrecked '85 Stang that has them. I know I have to change the switch and wiring harness. That part is easy.

However, I also know this thing has to have a "brain" somewhere. I don't have a clue what I'm looking for.

  1. Does anybody know where the brain or black box is loacted, and what it looks like?

  1. Do I have to swap the wiper motor, or will the '80 motor work?

Reply to
elaich

In that vintage of Ford Truck the difference is just a little pigtail with small black box that plugs between the intermittent switch (they are different) and the either/or rest of the wiring harness.

Reply to
351CJ

"351CJ" wrote in news:zWfHf.7513$_D1.6601@trnddc03:

Well, that shouldn't be hard to find, if the Mustang used the same system. Makes sense, as they wouldn't have to use a different wiring harness that way. Thanks.

Reply to
elaich

Not my forte', so this may not make sense, but here is what I am doing with my 65 Mustang. Maybe it will give you some idea where you need to go with it.

I'm changing my 65 to intrers uses the original 2 spd motor, and a switch from 80-91 Ford P/U, with the black box attached. A newer motor from a 71/72 pickup came with the switch assembly. I have not installed as yet, but now have the parts necessary

In my case, for the old motor to work with the new switch, I had to swap the plugs from the new motor to the old so that they matched the switch and wiring.

When you look at the wiring, 89-91 P/U is 6 wire, and 78-97 is 7 wire.

Reply to
Spike

That's exactly it. I've done this with my Mustang. Elaich is looking for an actual black box attached under the steering column, and the original motor will work fine.

It's got two pigtails that plug directly into the wiring harness, and the only "gotcha" I ran into is that there is an extra ground wire that needs to be hooked up to make the delay timer work. See my post on the topic from 2002:

Garth Almgren