Alignment under warranty?

Got an 02 GT that's pulling to the left. I haven't hit anything and it's gradually getting worse. Anybody know if it's covered under the factory warranty? I can't find my owner's manual and haven't called the dealer yet. Just getting a feeler.

TIA, Marc

Reply to
Marc

Don't know about the states but it's real tough to get an alignment under warranty here in Canada....... the "grace" period being very short (less than 10,000 km). My first inclination would be to check the tires very closely for a tread separation..... swap the front tires side for side and see if the pull changes direction.

HTH

Jim Warman

The warranty book for my 2000 gt says "After the first 12 months in service or 12,000 miles whichever occurs first, wheel alignment and tire balancing are not covered unless required by a warranty repair". Guess it would depend on exactly what caused it to be out of alignment...........bad bushing could cause it & that should be covered. Hope this helps. Kelly

Reply to
KellyJ

That does help. I would guess, judging by what you quoted, that a worn tie rod would be covered. Now, with that being said, all alignments are due to worn or broken parts.

Marc

Reply to
Marc
** Don't know about the states but it's real tough to get an alignment under ** warranty here in Canada....... the "grace" period being very short (less ** than 10,000 km). My first inclination would be to check the tires very ** closely for a tread separation..... swap the front tires side for side and ** see if the pull changes direction.

Don't swap the front two tires/wheels - have a shop swap only the tires, as they are uni-directional. If you're a cheap bastage like me, rotate the tires/wheels front to back (same side) in your driveway. It is doubtful that the pull is alignment-related, as the factory uses lasers to double-check frame integrity and the caster angle is fixed.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

It's doubtfull that the pull is alignment related? More likely is the oposite especially with certain wear patterns visible on the tire.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Thanks for the correction, JD..... I'd forgotten about the directional aspect.....

Reply to
Jim Warman
** Thanks for the correction, JD..... I'd forgotten about the directional ** aspect.....

Gotcha! No sweat...most tire shop guys miss that one too. Like you said earlier, working on cars is becoming far too intricate, and it must be hell trying to keep up with it.

Incidentally, I wish to give credit where it is due. The techs at Pep Boys (yes, the infamous Pep Boys!) did me a big favor today. After working on the throttle body on The Beater, I dropped a bolt down the passenger side while reassembling a fuel line bracket. I spent HOURS trying to find out where the hell it went. No luck. It wasn't underneath, and after starting it, it was obvious that the damn thing ended up stuck behind the crank pulley.

There isn't NEARLY enough room to take a crank pulley off a FWD engine in a car like this - the engine needed to be unbolted and lifted, just to get to it. I tried compressed air, a long snakelike 'grabber' tool, even a magnet on a long stick. No cigar. ARRRG! Time for a professional!

I took it in, and with an embarrassed look, explained what happened. They laughed, saying it happens to them all the time. Two hours later, it was fixed. They merely unbolted the crank pulley, backed it off 3/4" with a puller, then blew that sucker out with some compressed air. Problem solved!

Total charge: $75.00. Pretty cheap for their expertise and the shop tools needed. You were right: it's well worth paying the man for his expertise and his time. No, they won't be working on the Mustang again, but for stuff like this where mere Mortals are at a dead end, it was a Godsend.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

You brought to mind a couple of incidents..... first was a 2.3 Tempo..... just below the thermostat housing is the check timning slot in the bellhousing..... Misters buddy changed the thermostat and dropped ALL the bolts into the bellhousing - no big deal.... even though I had to change the clutch because of the damage.

Next one was a near new Marauder..... these have bigger tires on the back than on the front. Tire shop (no way I was gonna risk pooching THOSE rims) got one front tire on the back and vice versa...... I understand the traction control system was having fits all the way back to the shop.....

There is nothing so simple that someone somewhere can't screw it up... 8^)

Reply to
Jim Warman