Subtle ticking under light acceleration

I've left my '96 GT with a mechanic friend while I'm away for one month, so that he may make some repairs to it. One of the things I needed diagnosed(though I haven't told him yet) is this ticking sound when I put ever so light pressure on the gas pedal. I'm guessing it's the rotting Flowmaster mufflers (soon to be replaced) but I also heard it could be the tach? I don't understand how it could be the tach.

What makes me think mufflers is before I had the catted h-pipe put back on, the tick was much more audible with an o/r h-pipe. Now it sounds muffled.

The tick doesn't seem to speed up either, nor does it happen while coasting. If it happens under harder acceleration, I can't hear it.

Anybody have any ideas what it might be?

Thanks.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

It might be a small exhaust leak/hole in or at the mufflers. Look for sutty/black areas on or around all the exhaust connections, It may be as simple as tightening a clamp or a touch of welding to fix it.

Reply to
winze

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I read about pinhole leaks, too, but after further research via Google, I'm starting to think the P1443 code I'm getting is tied to this ticking noise. EGR valve, fuel relay and vapor canister purge valve (which I already replaced, but not upside down, so gotta try that!) are also possible causes. So, in other words, it could be a multitude of tiny things.

Thanks Di...uh, Winze. ;-)

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy