98 V70 Battery Discharging

My V70 seems to have an electrical leak: when I put an ohm-meter on the battery cables (with battery removed and car turned off) it shows full conductivity. This can't be good for battery life! I have pulled out every fuse in the two fuse blocks under the hood one at a time, and none of them cut off the circuit.

I have an in-line fuse for my trailer lights and pulling that did nothing.

Any idea where my juice is going? What circuits do not go through the fuses?

Also, on related note: how long does it take to charge a 12 Volt battery to full power on a 10A battery charger? I don't want to leave it on too long or not long enough.

Reply to
Inno

What do you mean by "full conductivity"? Zero ohms? If so, with the battery connected, a very high (theoretically infinite) current would flow - which is very unlikely!

What are the original symptoms which you are trying to investigate? Is the battery going flat with everything (apparently) turned off? If so, how long is it taking to go flat?

When re-charging a battery off the car, most chargers will drop to a trickle when the battery is nearly fully charged, so over-charging shouldn't be a problem. If the battery is completely flat, it will take quite a few hours - probably over-night - to charge fully.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You're not doing it right, you can't just measure the impedance across the leads, any capacitors in electronic devices will appear as a short circuit until they charge. You need to disconnect one battery lead, then set the meter to measure DC Amps and put one probe on the empty battery terminal and the other on the lead that normally occupies it.

Reply to
James Sweet

But don't try to start the engine with the ammeter in series with the battery lead - unless it's a very hefty one which can handle several hundred amps - in which case it won't be much use for measuring a small leakage current.

I'm not sure how much/little current you're looking for - it depends on how quickly the battery is discharging. For example, (assuming battery capacity is linear - which it isn't, so this is only approximate) if (say) 100mA is flowing (equivalent to a 1.2 watt lamp being on) a 100 amp-hour battery would take 1000 hours (over 40 days) to discharge - so you wouldn't notice it because it would get charged up by running the engine in the meantime. So you must be looking for a lot more than this - maybe one amp or more (discharging in about 4 days). If it still happens with all the fuses out, it suggests that it must be something like leaking diodes or smoothing capacitor in the alternator. To check this, you'd have to disconnect the red cable from the alternator - but don't let the bare end of the cable touch anything earthy - so disconnect it with the battery disconnected, and insulate it before re-connecting the battery!

Reply to
Roger Mills

My V70 (UK) has also fuses in the trunk and at the end of the dash.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes.

You should see no more than a few tens of milliamps.

Reply to
James Sweet

Mine is a 2004. Looking from the rear of the car,there is a panel in the lefthand side just inside the tailgate. The dash box is under a cover at the right hand end of the dash.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

'Fraid you can't deduce much from that - other than if it 'happens' to be in the same place. A 2004 V70 (built on the S80 platform) is a completely different animal from the 1998 model (derived from the 850).

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not sure what you mean by 'amp' but I assume that you're referring to the alternator.

This is located at the front of the engine (on the left when standing in front of the car looking into the engine compartment) under the power steering reservoir. You should be able to get at from under the bonnet/hood (depending on whether Canadians use British or American terminology!) although things like power steering reservoir and auxilliary drive belt might get in the way a bit. [I don't think it would be any easier from

*under* the car]. As far as I can see from my Haynes manual, the red cable should simply unplug - if you can get your hand in - it doesn't appear to need any tools. [But I could be wrong!]
Reply to
Roger Mills

Shame on you!

[I was hoping that your British heritage would carry more weight than the proximity of your American Neighbo(u)rs].
Reply to
Roger Mills

Ignore the resistance, as I said before, that's a worthless measurement in this case.

3 Amps seems high to me, what I would do now is pull fuses one at a time and see when the current drops substantially. You might check the glove box light too, that getting stuck on is a common cause of a dead battery.

Reply to
James Sweet

If you mean the thin red and white wire - that's only the sensor for the instrument lamp - you need to disconnect the *thick* red wire!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Agreed. But I've never seen a 36watt lamp in a glovebox!

Reply to
Roger Mills