And What Would You Buy?

Well, if you keep you cars FOREVER, odds are you take care of them; so you've got the issue of not knowing what happened the first 15-20k miles on the used GT you're looking at; could be a factor eight or nine years from now. Then again, I don't know for certain what happened the first 4 miles of mine, so for all I know it could've been a few 1/8 mile blasts by the sales mgr...

As to the vert vs. coupe argument, I love my vert, glad I got it, everyone should have one once; then again, it's been too hot here to sit in traffic with the top down for two months, and will be too hot for at least two more. So IMHO, there's really only about 4 months out of the year when it's decent convertible weather (except in the middle of the night, and I never go anywhere then anymore anyway). Also, I could never hear the radio w/ the top down, especially on the interstate, so I re-did my stereo; now I can hear it clearly top-down at 90mph; but talk about a headache by the time I get home! So there have been a few times that I wondered why I paid an extra few thousand for the drop-top; but there have also been more than a few times on a nice spring afternoon, cool autumn evening or a summer night that the top is down and I'm sliding around some backroad thinking no car should ever have a top.

Wabbitslayer

01 GT vert

Reply to
wabbitslayer

Curious why you don't think the 4.0L is "proven"... the motor has been around forever... it took about 8 passes at the track with the 125HP shot of Nitrous spraying at 2000 RPM to break my 4.0L... and then all it did was break the ring landing off one of the pistions... And the V6 uses the same type of hyperpathatic pistons as the V8... The bottom end appeared to be perfectly happy... the car was making close to 500 ft/lbs when i sprayed at 2000RPM... My stock automatic is still working great... and I still have the 7.5 rear end (which is still completely intact! LOL) With DR's i was able to cut a 1.8 60' so the car has definitely seen some abuse... and other than the broke piston, she's been taking the abuse like a big girl! LOL!

Reply to
John S.

ok... i'll take the bait... LOL!

For me the difference between the V6 and the V8 was $8000! I will not argue that or discuss it... the difference was $8000... period...

We installed a Vortech HO kit on The Mistress after we swapped in a used 4.0L to replace the broken original motor... Now this was one big package deal, used motor, labor to swap motor, Vortech, etc... so i can't really quote just what the Vortech would have cost.... but I think you could get one completely installed for maybe around $5,000 (????) maybe a little more.. perhaps a lot less... LOL! Save a few buck if you can install it yourself..

Now, the Vortech HO kit is rated at 10PSI... on my completely stock

4.0L motor with single MRT Aeroturbine exhaust ($225) my V6 put down 313RWHP and 290RWTQ! This is with an automatic... so figure 360+ at the crank.. maybe close to 370...

So of the $2500 to $3000 I have left over I can stick a T-Lok in... put in new LCAs... pick up a set of DRs.... maybe a few little appearance mods... And now I have a low 13 second car! Most of the stock GT's I see run are more like high 13's... I've even seen them in the 14's.. I'm not trying to dis any GT's here.. just reporting what I've seen at the track... I know there are some guys who can drive a stock GT into the low to mid 13's but that doesn't seemto be the norm..

Now... as far a longevity running this kind of setup... only time will tell... I've been beating on the car for about 3000 miles... I have yet to make any official 1/4 mile passes yet, (New baby at home so i've been unable to make it to the track) However... this weekend is a FFW at Norwalk.. and I will be there!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

Oh... and yes, if I could have found a Yellow GT for MSRP I would have probably bought it even though my rule is never to pay MSRP for a car... LOL! But at the time, March 2005, that was basically impossible! LOL!

one last thing... if you happen to pick up the August issue of Modified Mustangs... well... my car happens to be in there... LOL

My Names Nobody wrote:

Reply to
John S.

Great! LOL You have just barely exceeded the performance gotten from the factory BONE STOCK GT V-8, with a lot of wasted time and effort, obviously in your calculations your time is worth nothing, and you have totally voided your entire engine and drive train warranty. Bravo, you can keep that (normally used name for describing what you have done deleted so as not to offend), I'll take the factory BONE STOCK GT V-8 with full warranty.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

hmmmm... 370HP is not barely exceeding stock performance... I'm running low 13's.. (hopefully dip into the 12's this weekend!) while I've watched automatic GT's run in the 14's!! I've seen manual GTs with DRs only manage 13.7s.... I've seen a $43,000 Roush Stage One run no better than a 13.8! LOL!

If you consider if I had just done the blower and gears it would have been a lot CHEAPER than the GT... and I'm still paying V6 insurance (and yes, I checked with my insurance company... it's still a V6 regardless... and as long as I have reciepts they would cover the blower with no increase in premiums!)

As far as warranty... don't care... I put 30,000 miles on in a year... I break something, I replace it with something better...

Bottom line... Not everyone wants 300HP... Not everyone can afford a GT... What I am trying to show is the new 4.0L V6 Mustang is a great choice for those people... and if someday those people want more performance out of their 4.0L, they can get it fairly easily... The

4.0L makes a great building block for people who decide later that they want more performance (like me! LOL!).

There is such a stigma attached with owning a V6 Mustang... double if you happen to have an automatic V6 Mustang! Well, as goofy as it may sound... I am trying to change that! One person at a time if I have to!!! Pick up the August issue of Modified Mustang... you can read more about me and my car... LOL!

My Names Nobody wrote:

Reply to
John S.

One dealer near where I live has about 15 Rousch cars that don't seem to be selling. I think it looks overdone personally.

I checked insurance as well and the V6 is a lot cheaper. Same story with them covering mods as long as I have proof they were bought for and installed on the car. Pictures and receipts are all that is needed.

Same here,I drive A LOT but those are my other cars.I'll be putting much less on the Mustang. I only use warranty if it is something major, or something that might be problematic with the car that I can claim out of warranty later on if it had already been replaced.

Three steering racks in 100,000 miles on a Caravan is an example. Don't ask :(

That's the spirit!!! I like the idea of adding a little bit at a time as a hobby. I've always done all my own work. I have no need to take it to the limit like you did, but it's nice to know there are a lot of parts out there and that it can be done. I've been stuck with "orphan" engines in other cars in the past where the aftermarket support was poor and I don't want to make that mistake again.

Hey,,,that's what I'm getting!! My wife tried to drive my VW GTI manual shift exactly once..... Never again... I almost flew out the sunroof...

Maybe I'll stick a fake tailpipe on the other side so it looks like a GT :) Who has to know? HAHAHAHAH!

Congratulations!!

Reply to
SteveO

You can modify to your hearts content. I hope you enjoy yourself with it, and learn from it. I'm through with that.

I grenaded so many parts and replaced so many parts in my life, that I have absolutely no desire to bastardize or destroy any more vehicles. It got to the point where I could come home from work on Friday afternoon, pull the engine out of my 71 street Torino and stick in another engine, get it all hooked up and running and still have time to cruse that car the same Friday night. The list of modifications I've done is fairly extensive, and for the most part today I wouldn't do most of them again.

At this point for me, the allure of modifying Detroit's finest has fairly well worn off. Besides the performance offerings coming out of Detroit today are so much better than they have ever been...

Things like reliability, and longevity rate much higher on my priority list these days.

The idea of not being able to afford a GT V-8 or the insurance for it, yet being able to afford to buy thousands of dollars worth of upgrades, void your warranty, and in your case, destroy the original engine in your nearly new car seems kind of disingenuous or at very least somewhat misguided to me.

Like I said, in my original post, We'll now get a whole bunch of guys posting "ya butt you can do such and such to the V-6 and get V-8 like performance." I say nonsense, you can do that same such and such to the V-8 and get a lot more power...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

If you keep your cars forever then go for the 05+ GT+Vert!! Over the long haul the price difference is minimal.

Reply to
mustangjoe