Any one from N. Carolina

We will be moving to North Carolina in the early part of next month. I was wondering what to expect in the way of emission and car testing laws there.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Where in North Carolina?

If it's Charlotte (Mecklenburg County) where my car is registered it's pretty stringent. Everything must be intact and they use exhaust sniffers. Surrounding counties do their own thing.

Jeff '91 LX 5.0 Convertible, Triple Black

Reply to
Carolina Country Store

Thanks for the response it is about an hour outside of Charlotte, a place called Mt. Ulla.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

I'm not from N. Carolina, but I'm only about 1hr5 mins away in Virginia, and I gotta say it can't get much worse than Virginia!

I know people that have moved to N.C. because they were more lax with the vehicle requirements and ways of doing things in general.

So I'm not much help but hope everything goes well with the move anyways :)

Emily

Reply to
Emily Quesenberry

Looking forward to it since I'm retiring again. g

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Reply to
Michael Seeley

Now you guys have reason to come down to Florida where we don't have to worry about all that crap and somebody dies everyday in a traffic accident. The hurricanes blow all the bad stuff to the west. hehe Emissions testing made my hatred for NC even stronger and am so happy I left it.

Helmut Roner Beat Up 1988 GT turned LX

Reply to
HELMUT RONER

Where in the HELL have you been, stranger? :-)

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

Thanks Michael I will look it up. Don't sound like I'm used too in Florida so I guess my long tubes will be going.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Been spending most of my net time on a couple of local boards, the Corral, and on a site a friend of mine started several months ago (where I am a mod for the Windsor stuff). Aside from that working, sleeping, working, sleeping, etc. (repetative cycle).

Reply to
HELMUT RONER

All counties require a safety inspection, which includes a visual inspection of emissions control devices.

The following nine counties do a tailpipe emissions test for '95 and older vehicles and all nine counties will continue that test through

12-31-05. Tailpipe emissions inspection will not expand to any other county.

Cabarrus Durham Forsyth Gaston Guilford Mecklenburg Orange Union Wake

On and after 1-1-06, all vehicles older than '96 will get only the safety inspection (which includes a visual examination of the emissions control devices).

As of today, several counties require an OBD test for '96 and newer vehicles, and more counties are phasing in the ODB test. The following schedule applies. Phase in will be completed by 1-1-06.

Mick