Any Way to De-Creak Interior Panels?

Hi, I have a '98 Mustang GT Convertible. It's a nice car, but the quality of the interior is very poor. The door panels, and some dash panels creak. The quality of materials and the way that things are assembled leaves a lot to be desired.

Is any after-market company making up-graded panels for these cars? Can the panels be dis-assembled and fitted with some backing materials that help?

Any comments?

Thanks

fock u are a tard

shim shim shim

h u r c a s t

Reply to
abbotsford90210

I AM WE TOD DID. I AM SOFA KING WE TOD DID That is all

Reply to
TOD

If you think the Mustang panels are junk, you should try the Camaro after the same number of years.

If the panels have eeen abused, they will creak a bit, even age is a factor. These cars are nearly 8 years old now. Check to be sure that they are tightened down properly, all the screws are hand tight and replace the plastic plugs. They even make some stuff that stereo shops use for sound deadning (sorry, I am not an audiophile) that may help reduce noise. It is possible that your car's previous owner was rough on them and you get the joy of the creaks.

Some creaking is caused by the panels rubbing against other surfaces, like the dash, or or at the lower front corner against the door and so on. Check those spost and see. If so you can put something there to prevent the friction.

You can also have the panels upholstered, that would be pretty sweet, not cheap but would be very easy on the eye.

Another question, when does it creak? Where? Could something be out of adjustment? Your dash shouldn't creak unless you are pushing on it or something, if so, has it been in a wreck or something?

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
Reply to
SVTKate

Hi Kate,

Just what do you mean by "abusing a panel"? What can one do to abuse one? They just hang there....

As an example of creaking...when you pull on the interior door handle to close the door...it creaks.

When I take a rag with protectant on it and rub down the plastic parts (panels) of the doors and also the center console areas...they creak...just from the pressure of rubbing a rag over them.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive to all this (my other car is a Toyota Camry...and the quality of the interior is just very very different...)

It's not just my car...I've looked at other Ford Mustangs and they are all similiar in this respect...I don't think that mine was abused... For that matter...it only has 26k miles on it and is in essentially showroom condition.

You mention a couple of "fixes"....the audiophile stuff and upholstering...do you have any web links to people who have done that?

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yanking on it, little kids hanging on it, kicking it when you get in and out

: : As an example of creaking...when you pull on the interior door handle to : close the door...it creaks.

: : When I take a rag with protectant on it and rub down the plastic parts : (panels) of the doors and also the center console areas...they creak...just : from the pressure of rubbing a rag over them.

It might be that the stuff that is on it will cause it to make a noise. For instance, if you put certain waxes on a surface, then rub your finger over it it will squeek. Maybe it is drowned in some goop like Armour All...??

: : Maybe I'm overly sensitive to all this (my other car is a Toyota : Camry...and the quality of the interior is just very very different...)

There is a huge difference, yes.

: : It's not just my car...I've looked at other Ford Mustangs and they are all : similiar in this respect...I don't think that mine was abused... For that : matter...it only has 26k miles on it and is in essentially showroom : condition. :

Don't know what to tell you, It was just an observation from things I have seen before.

: You mention a couple of "fixes"....the audiophile stuff and : upholstering...do you have any web links to people who have done that?

Some of the guys here are into audio.

I had two places on my car that were creaky, at the upper front corner of the door where it closed against the windshield pillar... you are going to think this is stupid, but I took the chapstick out of my pocket, rubbed a tiny bit on my finger and put it on the spot where it was rubbing... no more squeek.

Wish I had more answers for you, I also think that if your door panels have been R&Ied a couple of times it will cause some noise. No telling why yours is doing it. Sorry. If I could look at it I might be able to help, but my best guess is that it has something on it that is causing the squeek of vinyl on vinyl.

: : Thanks so much for your reply.

Sorry I wasn't more help : : Chuck

Hah! My big brother's name is Chuck!

Kate

[...]

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
SVTKate

I have an 04 with a terribly noisy door panel. After taking it in three times, and told them I wanted new door panels they came up with a silencer kit, but it won't be here until the middle of June.

Reply to
AW

"SVTKate" wrote

Bingo... the only cars I've seen with bad plastic creaks >>> "Armor- ALL!!"

Ta-da.

Why anyone would drown their interior in that stuff is beyond me... makes it shiny, which it wasnt new, and causes glare.

And, frankly, I dont believe that it lengthens the life of the vinyl or hard-form one bit.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hmmm.... and you're going to let them get away with that?

You car didn't come with a silencer kit, it came with a door panel. Evidently a defective one.

I would insist that they do as requested in the beginning... replace the panel.

: > Is any after-market company making up-graded panels for these cars? Can the : > panels be dis-assembled and fitted with some backing materials that help? : >

: > Any comments? : >

: > Thanks : : I have an 04 with a terribly noisy door panel. After taking it in three : times, and told them I wanted new door panels they came up with a silencer : kit, but it won't be here until the middle of June.

Reply to
SVTKate

DUST. I seem to recall from years ago that dust is the cause of many interior creaks where two surfaces are moving against each other. Particularly annoying when it's "somewhere" in the dash. Maybe a good hosing down with air at the surface interfaces may work.

Reply to
Richard