New Breed Of V8s Coming Down The Pike?

Some people are predicting the death of the V-8 in American cars with the onset of the renewed emphasis on fuel economy. Well, not so fast, my friends. More than one Detroit automaker is working on a new generation of aluminum V-8s that will be around 2.4-liters in size, with the possibility of going up to 3.0-liters. There are some very good reasons for spending the money on these engines too. First of all, even though fuel-efficiency will become a priority, there are too many applications in a wide cross section of vehicle types (performance, utility, trucks) that will still need the torque and power that a V-8 offers. Secondly, as evidenced by the new 427 small-block in the upcoming Corvette ZO6, small-block development has reached its limit - and the need for a fresh look at new technology would be especially suited to a new, smaller V-8. Oh, and there are a couple more very important reasons too. International racing regulations are moving toward a new, 2.4-liter V-8 specification (Formula 1), and the Indy Racing League is contemplating new engine package regulations for 2007. The rumored size of their engines? 2.4-liters. And NASCAR is expected to follow suit (especially when the engine manufacturers tell them what they're going to have to work with). Just when you thought the sun might be setting on the classic American V-8, things are about to get very interesting.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Does this mean my 331 will be a 'big block'?

L8s,

Alias

Reply to
Alias

Something tells me that to get decent power from an engine this small means a very expensive motor. The old addage "there's no replacement for displacement" still rings true today. It should be interesting to see what the big 3 come up with. Gives new meaning to the word "small block".

Reply to
Braxus

A 3.0L V-8 with a twin screw blower pushing 25 psi would be an interesting option. It would pretty economical until the boost kicks in. Plus it would generate a good bit of torque across the entire rpm range. Twin screws also consume very little hp when they are not making boost.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote

I just wish they made one for a carb setup. Although I have heard that there is a twin screw setup for carbed marine applications, hmmmmmmmm!

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Here's what you need:

Michael Johnson, PE

Haven't we been through this before? It's like the Miniskirt, it's a trend that cycles every couple of decades. Though technology continues to advance and now economy doesn't mean that you have to push it up a hill because of a lack of horsepower.

The new stuff will be interesting to see.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:21:12 -0700, "Braxus" wrote something wonderfully witty:

If ya can't grow it, blow it!

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 03:19:23 GMT, "Alias" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Nope, whole new terminology, medium block, or Mid Block.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:27:53 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Ever try to screw twins? I am here to tell ya it requires a lot of horsepower and consumes a ton of energy.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On 7 Jun 2005 19:01:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

What about the on-demand cylinder engines that are now on the market? Eight when the pedal is to the metal & down to four when cruising or puttering around town? Better fuel control using computers? Or the infamous urban legend 200mpg carburetor? Aren't F1's already 3.0 liters, but V-10's? Isn't IRL now using 3.0 liter engines as well? Doesn't CART use a 2.6 liter engine?

Additionally, on November 4, 2004, Chevrolet stated that it would be ending its IRL engine program effective with the end of the 2005 season, citing costs that exceeded value, according to then-GM Racing Director Doug Duchardt. "The investment did not meet our objectives," he was quoted as saying. Whether another engine manufacturer will supply IRL engines as of 2006 is unknown at this point. What is known is that the most successful engine in the history of the series, that from GM, will soon no longer be available. Whether this constitutes a very serious blow to the series or just another change remains to be seen. Speculation was rife that General Motors was more impressed with the monetary return it was getting from NASCAR, where the cars are referred to as "Monte Carlos" and the body styles that are used bear at least a superficial resemblance to a consumer product. There are some indications that Toyota may not return as an engine supplier after 2006 as well, as company officials have stated a dissatisfaction with the investment returns in the series while at the same time, Toyota Racing Development is clearly preparing for entry into the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series. Currently, IRL engines are rev-limited to just over 10,000 rpm, and produce approximately 700 bhp at this speed from a normally-aspirated 3 liter.

Chevy already said it will pull out of Indy car racing following this season, though officials say they will consider a return in 2007 if they like the specifications the IRL chooses. Toyota is mum on its future, but clearly it is interested in becoming more involved in NASCAR. Honda plans to remain in the IRL, though it isn?t keen on being the sole manufacturer.

No other engine manufacturer has stepped forward, though Barnhart notes they need to know the rules first. The IRL?s primary stipulation is the manufacturer sells cars in the United States.

Barnhart indicated he has four or five options for engine choice, but he seems to have made his decision. The IRL now uses 3.0-liter normally aspirated powerplants of 183 cubic inches. An option is to go to a stock block engine that in theory would attract more NASCAR-like participation.

Oh and wasn't Cadillac looking at reintroducing their infamous V-16?

The long and the short of it is who the hell knows what is going on and what the future holds? If Indy cars are currently getting ~700 bhp at 10,000rpm from a normally-aspirated 3 liter without having to do a complete rebuild after every race like NASCAR does why won't they make it into street versions? Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps it is the fuel that is the issue.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Interesting to note that the 1932 Ford flathead V8 displaced 3.6 liters (221 ci). 73 years later, a 3.0 liter domestic V8 is news?

Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it. Detroit is not exactly the spawning ground of new engines. Fords Mod Motor is now more than ten years old, with no end in sight, as is the GM Northstar. The Chevy 3rd gen is also nearing age ten. D-C's "hemi" is the only new big enginne I can think of. (I know diddly about domestic 4's and 6's.)

There are some very

How does a 2.4 to 3.0 liter (146 to 183 ci) V8 offer any more torque and power than a V6? I know in theory that more cylinders allow more total valve area and lighter pistons, but c'mon, these can't be worth 5 hp in a 2.4 liter street engine. The bean counters would not be seeing a cost/benefit ratio from the added costs of two more piston/rod assemblies, 4 or 8 more valve trains, an additional crank throw, etc. Packagers would not like the longer block. The more tangible benefit of more cylinders is smoothness, but I haven't heard anyone complaining about all the Toyota, Nissan, BMW, etc., sixes out there.

Secondly, as evidenced by the new 427 small-block in the

If you mean the limits of displacement, surely you've heard of the raised deck -- the 351 Ford Windsor and 400 Cleveland and the 440 Chrysler come to mind. With a 4 inch bore, a V8 gains about 50 ci for every half inch in stroke. And if 427 ci is "the limit," why not stay there?

Exactly what new technology is suited to small V8's?

Oh, and there are a couple more very

The F1 crowd would choke on their brie before they'd allow a stock block in their silly boring toys.

and the Indy

Indy Racing League, yeah there's a real tastemaker.

And NASCAR is expected

The NASCAR crowd would choke on their nachos before they'd allow overhead cams and fuel injection in their silly boring toys.

Just when you thought the sun

D-C just came out with the "hemi," GM just came out with the "4th" gen SBC, Ford can't make enough V8 Mustangs, the "hemi," the 3rd and 4th gen, and the Mod Motor are imbedded all across all three makers' model lines, non gearhead American consumers are actually paying attention to the domestic offerings, cylinder deactivation is answering the fuel mileage problem, and even at $3/gal gas is still cheaper than bottled water. Exactly who is it that thought the sun was setting on the classic American V8?

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Most good things come with a cost. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just one more thing that verifies that I made the right decision when I stopped following NASCAR.

Reply to
elaich

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote

BADASS!!!!