ARRRRRGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN RADIO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2005 Mustang GT with the Shaker 500 radio. Up until the warrantee expired EVERYTHING was working super. Now that it has

37,300 miles on it, the radio is doing crazy things. When I start the car, the radio won't come back on. After about 30 - 60 seconds, it comes on and everything needs to be reset.

When I turn on the ignition, the radio works as usual, but as soon as I engage the starter, it dies and won't come back on until the long delay occurs and then it's as if it has reset itself, the clock is at

12:00 and it is on 580 AM

Any ideas what it might be? I've checked all the fuses, swapped out the relay in the kick panel with one from the under-dash relays, nothing changes... I hate to take it to the dealer and get a new radio if it's only a simple fix. Suggestions on where to look?

thanks

Reply to
notme

Ever replace the battery? Might want to check the terminals for corrosion.

Just my 2cents......

Mark

Reply to
Mark M

OK, there was a little bit of corrosion on the negative terminal, the pos terminal was sparkling clean. I got it brushed off, put some terminal corrosion spray on both of them, hooked the battery back up and same thing. It's as if there is a relay somewhere sticking when the starter is engaged causing the radio to go "dead" it should come back on when the key is returned to the on position, but it doesn't. It stays "dead" for about 30-60 seconds, then when it comes back on, it is "reset" to AM 580 and the clock is at 12:00. somewhere, it appears to be losing power, but I can't figure out where. Any more ideas?

Reply to
notme

My guess is the Smart Junction Box... it basically controls all kinds of stuff and can do some very odd stuff when it goes bad... mine for example caused my enviro panel to not work, but only when it was freezing out... one it warmed up (like in the shop) it would work fine.

I would take it to the dealership and even though you are technically out of your warranty period ask them what they can do to help you out... especially since you are barely out... I was at 40,000 miles when mine went. I asked the dealership what they could do to help me out (the orig estimate was $500 or so!), especially since a SJB shouldn't go bad at 40K miles... the service guys made a phone call... next thing i know Ford gives me a FREE SJB and I just had to pay for labor... so it definitely never hurts to ask..

Reply to
John S.

John S. wrote: \

Yep, I got a heater core for half the cost, when I talked to the dealer it was just a few weeks out of warranty.

Reply to
GILL

OK Now I feel like a DUMBASS I fought the corrosion thing, went online, found the radio self test procedure, did that, fought the internet some more, found the Smart Junction Box (which isn't too intelligent) schematic and wiring diagram, did all of the testing, thinking, etc. This morning, the radio reset itself to AM 580 and the clock was flashing 12:00. After work I went into the dealership today, talked to the service writer, he said, "Change the battery" He wrote it up, it was right at closing time, a mechanic was still on the clock, took it back, put a new battery in it in about 5 minutes, brought it out and every time since then ( I have been checking it frequently) it's started, the radio has done it's thing and all is well. Hopefully, this "saga" is behind us and I'm happy with Ford again (at least till the next issue) LOL

Thanks for pointing me in directions, it was the battery/corrosion issue all along, just didn't recognize it last night.

Reply to
notme

Hey, I'm glad you got it fixed, my stock battery went bad in my 2005 GT and it did strange things, I charged it and took a charge but 24-48 hrs later it was dead. That's why i pointed you towards the battery issue.

Take care...Mark

Reply to
Mark M