Awful screeching brake noise??!!

Hi all,

So my mustang has began making this godawful metal-to-metal sounding screeching noise when I brake. It doesn't make any sound under light braking, but medium to heavy is almost unbearable.

I took apart all four brakes today. The front rotors and pads were in perfect condition, and the rear drums and shoes were also in great shape.

It brakes hard, steady, and easy. The brake booster and master cylinder are new. The brakes were bled properly. Everything works fine.

What's making that noise?! Any ideas? I'm lost ;-)

It's a 1973 convertible, BTW.

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick D.

Are you SURE your brake pads are ok? I'd look again :/

Reply to
memsetpc

Yeah, i'm sure. My dad runs a shop, and he looked at them, and i do trust his opinion even more than my own (although i guess that's not saying much!). I could replace them anyway i suppose to see if that fixes them, but i'd hate to waste 70+ bucks on something i didn't need to replace...

- Nick

Reply to
Nick D.

$70 for brake pads??!?!?! I spent $20 at a local O'Reilly!

Reply to
memsetpc

$20 for pads. $40 for shoes (back). $10 for beer ;-)

- Nick

Reply to
Nick D.

LOL ah I getcha =) My rear pads were $20 also.

Reply to
memsetpc

if dad runs a shop and he looked at them and said they are OK, ask him why they are making the noise??? he would be in a better shape to give an opinion as he looked at them then someone just hearing the story and then trying to figure our why and then have them give an opinion......

Reply to
jim

Well, digging more information out of him said that the pads on the front can develop this coating that causes the screeching noise, even if they are fine.

He thinks it might be the bearings though. I'm going to go out and see if it gets louder when turning or anything.

Jim, I know what you mean, but people in this group know mustangs inside and out, and sometimes there is some sort of factory defect or common problem with that (those) particular year(s) that a mechanic might not know about without troubleshooting a large number of things.

- Nick

Reply to
Nick D.