Import day

I accidentally went to import day today at Union Grove, WI. I've never seen so many badly tuned cars. Half of those poor little engines were lean popping or backfiring, or in one case, blowing their innards onto the track. And why do these kids think it's cool to peg the rev limiter while waiting in the staging lanes? There was an RX7 with open exhaust. At the line, he revved to the moon before the lights even started coming down. Then when he launched, he almost stalled it. It looked like he was launching in second gear! He popped and sputtered the whole way down the track. Some old 70s looking Toyota made the most ear splitting noise when doing his burnout. He also nearly stalled at launch, and tore up the track to a 16.something. There were a handful of impressive cars, and all of them were turbocharged. One CRX spun his front tires half way down the track to a 10.X@140. There were also some domestic shitboxes running suprisingly quick times. A 12 second Dodge Shadow? Wow! But far too many of the cars sounded and ran like something was seriously wrong with the engine.

Due to the huge number of cars there, and a few rain delays, I got only one run the whole day. It was a tire spinning 12.7@112. I think it's got a 12.4 in it with better traction. I also need a higher redline, since I had to shift to

5th at the end. All in all, it was a bad day at the track, since I paid $35 to only make one run.

Chris Matthaei '91 5.0 LX

Reply to
Chris

How do you "accidentally" attend import day? LOL!

Reply to
C. Olofsson
12.7 is impressive to me =)
Reply to
memsetpc

wondered the same myself LOL..

Reply to
memsetpc

Sad, it seems, that most 1/8 and 1/4 mile strips these days have Import Days and not Domestic Days.

We used to have a few good tracks here, but now the NHRA sanctioned track is a big pile of cow dung, and the other nearby track that's in the boonies is overrun by overrevving grocery getters with 6' shopping cart handles affixed to their ass-ends. That's the reason street racing is becoming more and more popular... it's not that people are too lazy to go to the tracks, it's that when they do they get one run (if that) for $25+, no time slip due to malfunctioning equipment, no safety crew available should the worst happen, and then there's always that one POS econo-box that does a burn out in front of you and pulls their rear tires through the water box only to ruin the lane for your time through.

Reply to
Matt

Chris-

First of all, as some others have pointed out, how do you "accidentally" show up for import day?

I have only been to Union Grove once or twice (I really should go more since I live in Milwaukee) but I have been up at Rock Falls Raceway out by Eau Claire WI several times, one specific time being for import day.  I have never seen so many bad drivers, half done/ugly looking body kits, folgers cans, and clueless teenagers walking around at one time before.  At least out there they allow pretty much any FWD car to play so that helps keep it interesting.  In fact, I think the high point of that trip was the kid racing his mom's rusted out fiesta (not a joke).

I feel your pa>

Reply to
Dave Hammond

I went just for test and tune. I should have checked the schedule on their web page first.

Chris

Reply to
Chris1

Show up at the track and look around and say "holy crap what's with all the Hondas???"

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]