Brake noise

My Bug, a '60 on a '68 pan with type three rear brakes and dual circuit master cyl is making a "clunking sound" from what appears to be the right rear. I initially thought it was the trans but now notice the sound, which is rythmic, goes away when I apply the brakes, even when I apply them lightly. I have also noticed recently a "pulsing/grinding" feel on the brake pedal when I apply the brakes. I have all new slave cyls, master, brake lines and shoes and drums all around. Any ideas on what could cause this? I won't haev time to pull the wheels until this weekend so I would like to know what to look for. Thanks,

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Check axle nut tightness. Less likely is a bad wheel bearing. Sometimes an E-brake component will make noises too.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

"Braukuche" wrote

Maybe a lug bolt is a little too long and making contact with something inside.

Reply to
Scott H

Does the clunking goes away when you pull the handbrake slightlly? It is possible that the handbrake cable is loose or not properlly routed inside the drum, and grinds on the drum or the end of the wheel bolts.

Anyway, you have to remove the drum and inspect. You will probably find wear marks indicating where the problem was.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Reply to