Behind the dash of a 69 .... Questions

Please excuse me if these questions sound dumb,but this is my first attempt at 'restoring' any car,let alone a Mustang,so most of it is new to me.When it's complete,I'm going to post some before and after pics of my first effort for all to see.(Although I'm not doing any of the bodywork :-) )

I have taken 5 pictures of the items in question,and will post them here when i can get the damn FTP program to work again.

the pics are not there yet,please help with whatever you can from thedescriptions below

  1. I am cleaning up the dash area of my 69 FB which means taking it apart so i can clean and paint it.There are a couple things i noticed which i would like to identify. Right behind the glove box,which i took out,there is a big black plastic box which i assume is the heater assembly box.On this are 2 levers,which look almost like handles,and they both turn by half to 3 quarters of a turn. I want to know what they are for.You can see these in the first picture.The third picture is similar but is pulled back to give a better view of the location.

  1. On the right side of the heater assembly box,there are some white printed letters/numbers.What does this signify? You can see this in the second picture.

  2. This car came with factory A/C apparently,which has since been removed.Look at picture 4,in between the heater controls and the defroster nozzles,there is what looks like a forward facing vent.There is no hole on the dashpad to make this visible when the dashpad is fitted. Is it meant to be visible,or only if A/C is fitted ? Maybe the dashpad was changed to a non A/C pad ?

  1. I noticed a leak coming from underneath the heater assembly,which can be seen in pictures 3 and 5. Its leaking a greenish-yellow oily liquid.Not much but enough to be visible,and you can see where it has run down the floor. It's coming from a small nozzle sticking out the left underside as you look at it from the front,next to where the passengers left foot would be.

Any help or answers to these questions is appreciated as ever !!

Andrew

Reply to
me

The page is up, but you have your IMG tags pointing to files on your G drive instead of the webserver.

For example --> should be either or , etc.

is missing from the server.

I know this one! Your heater core is leaking and needs to be replaced.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

They control flappers inside the box to direct air to various outlets - floor, vent, defrost. Also control temperature by mixing in cold outside air that bypasses the heater core.

Assembly part numbers.

That vent is only used with factory A/C

It's anti-freeze. You have a leaking heater core. It's a fairly inexpensive part, but a pain to change. The nozzle you're looking at is a drain port. On A/C cars there's a "Z" shaped rubber hose that connects to that and exits a hole in the firewall.

Reply to
.boB

Thanks to .boB and Garth

Garth,

I keep getting those problems with the pictures.As soon as i fix it it goes wrong again.I'm going to try to fix it again

.boB

So i assume that those handles that control the flappers inside the box are supposed to be connected to something,ie,the heater controls? I dont think the controls are actually attached to anything behind there.. I'm not really bothered that the heater dosent work ,don't really need it in Southern California,so what if i just blocked that drain hole ? I can see the hole through the firewall,should i get the tube for it,or just block it up? I know that to replace it is a pain in the ass to do,its something i don't really want to attempt.But if i decide to change it,what else do i need to take off to get it out/replace it.I have most of the dash off,except the long lower dash part which is only held on by 8 bolts,so that would come off fairly easily,but then what ? If there's not much more to it after thats all off,i could maybe do it myself. I dont think the steering wheel needs to come off.

I have a dashpad cover to go over the existing dashpad.I got one for an A/C car just in case i should put A/C back in there at some point.

Andrew

They control flappers inside the box to direct air to various outlets - floor, vent, defrost. Also control temperature by mixing in cold outside air that bypasses the heater core.

Assembly part numbers.

That vent is only used with factory A/C

It's anti-freeze. You have a leaking heater core. It's a fairly inexpensive part, but a pain to change. The nozzle you're looking at is a drain port. On A/C cars there's a "Z" shaped rubber hose that connects to that and exits a hole in the firewall.

-- .boB

97 H-D FXDWG - Turbocharged!! 01 Dakota Quad Sport, 5.9/Auto/4x4 83 GMC Jimmy (beater) 66 427SC Cobra Replica - Project 66 Mustang coupe - Daily Driver
Reply to
me

You don't really need to remove the lower dash panel. But it sure will make the job a lot easier. You've gotten this far, might as well go all the way. Go ahead and pull the heater box out and replace the core. Once the box is open it will be easy to see what those flappers do, and how to hook them up. I would replace the little Z shaped drain hose. It keeps moisture from collecting in there, going moldy, and stinking up the car. Be sure to seal around the firewall with silicone. If you don't want to replace the A/C parts, then you could get rid of the evap core inside the heater box. The only advantage to that is you won't have those empty connectors hanging out the firewall. But you'll probably have to fabricate a blocking plate to cover the hole correctly. Here's another thought. Spend a few dollars and get a new box and core from someplace like Mustang's Plus, or Mustangs Unlimited. That's a much easier install, you'll have more room under the dash, and it will be all new parts. Then sell your A/C parts to someone who wants them. I expect you could break even at least. Those A/C parts can be pretty hard to come by.

Reply to
.boB

[...]

Thanks .boB,I'll look into it when i get it back from the bodyshop

Reply to
me