Beware: The Old Lady Driving The Ford Flex

Only a few decades ago a tweaked 5-oh Mustang running 12's was big
news, now seems even the most pedestrian rides are turning 12's.
Check out these vehicles powered by EcoBoost.

Patrick
Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84
Hey.. That is MY FLEX!!!! LOL! Best run is a 13.41@103 with JUST A TUNE! LOL! And the AWD is awesome for launching! I'm pulling 1.97 60' and with me in the Flex it tips the scales at 5185.
You can see the dyno sheet here:
BTW... I love our FLEX! 8^)
Reply to
John S.
How did you decide to tweak/race a Flex?
Just so you know, those numbers are extremely close to what my 1993 Cobra ran after being tweaked, and 3.55s, larger mass-air meter and headers were installed.
This modern stuff is ridiculously capable. Watched a show the other night they played with [just] the software of a Chevy Suburban. It went from running 0-60 in 8 seconds to 6. Crazy, stuff!
I'll bet. Have you shocked an unsuspecting street racers yet?
Patrick
Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84
No street racers as I have a local race track and visit it often.. .but yes, I have a number of very humorous stories from the pits!! Couple off the top of my head:
Announcer at Atco: "Here comes that Ford Flex again. It ran 13.6 it's first pass! Some one needs to go down there and check that thing out because that thing appears to be defying the laws of physics!"
Couple guys come over in the pits and they tell me, "We have to admit... when we saw you pull in we were LAUGHING AT YOU. We thought, what is that guy thinking? Then you ripped off that 13.4 and we were like, what the hell was that!!!"
Had one guy come over that I had lined up against and tell me, "you launched so hard and took off so quick that I FORGOT TO GO!" He had a .8xx RT! LOL
video:
Reply to
John S.
In the video he posted not long ago there was a loping Nova and a later model GT Mustang that were probably a little miffed, if not surprised.
Reply to
WindsorFo
BTW you need to find some Flow Masters, That thing sounds like a sewing machine. I thought that was a GT Mustang, but on second listen was it a tweaked V6??
Reply to
WindsorFo
On Jan 10, 5:51=A0pm, "WindsorFox" wrote:
In the race videoes my Flex has the stock exhaust... and in stock form you can't even here the thing running... even at WOT!!! LOL! Visited my good friend Scott Hoag at MRT and we installed their Interceptor system on the Flex! WOOHOO!!!
And to give you an idea of just how restrictive the stock mufflers on a Flex EcoBoost are:
Red is stock, Blue is MRT axle back exhaust:

I have beaten a couple of 2010+ Camaro SSs and a few 4.6 S197 Mustangs... I love going to the track on Test and Tune days, when track prep isn't the best and the casual racer is on street tires! LOL!
And I just love tell them, back in the pits... "Oh, this? Oh this is just my wife's daily driver, soccer-mobile" Then I open the door and show them the kid's booster seats and the 3rd row seats! LOL
Reply to
John S.
LOL! Yeah, didn't actually get to talk to that guy... but i'm thinking he was at least majorly surprised... What I love is the guys that give up! Had it happen a couple of times. For some unknown reason cutting good lights in the Flex is very easy, so I get the jump at the tree, pull a descent 60' and next thing you know I'm out front... get to the 1000' and they realize they can't catch me and they give up! You can see it in the timeslips! LOL
Reply to
John S.
I'm sure it helped a little, but I would have kept the stock mufflers. A Ford Flex, with a dead silent exhaust, blowing your doors off has to be humiliating.
As in the credit card commercials, "priceless."
Patrick
Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84
Based on the dyno, i'm thinking I picked up close to 20 HP.... ever bit helps on my way to a 12.9! LOL! And you are right the Flex was absolutely silent with the stock exhaust... I simply couldn't take it anymore! LOL! Best part is my 5 and 7 year old daughters LOVE the new sound! After I put it on, I had the girls in the Flex... I accelerated rather spiritedly from the stop light. Both girls shouted out with glee, "Dad! You added VROOM VROOM!!!" LOL! They love the Flex too! They are always telling me, "Do the EcoBoost! Do the EcoBoost!"
as for humiliating... Well, a couple of guys showed up a the local track and apparently were unaware that the track require EVERYONE to wear a helmet, so they ended up renting some from the track... Guessing it was probably their first time at a track... Well, eventually I timed it right and got to lined up against the guy with a 4.6 S197 Mustang... Blew him off the line and proceed to run a 13.4 to his 14.2! I watch the guy as we pull back into the pits... He parks his car... gets out... and the walks over and turned his helmet back in... he was done... LOL
Can't wait until the tracks open in April!!!
Reply to
John S.

Site Timeline Threads