bracketry for serpentine conversion

I want to convert a V belt 302 to a serpentine belt. The motor will have a '79 - '03 Ford A/C compressor. I already have a reverse flow water pump. No smog pump and no power steering.

Other than going with an expen$sive March pulley system, what off the shelf stock Ford brackets will I need? I know that Windsor-Ford has a power steering idler, If needed it will be purchased.

I know the later 5.0's used some massive cast aluminum pieces, earlier serpentine parts will work for me just as well. Not going the EFI route, so the big casting may look out of place in the '65 Fastback I'm building.

Part numbers and/or model year of the brackets would greatly help in my search.

Thanks!!

Jeff Davison

Reply to
Jeff Davison

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Spike..

thanks for the reply, but I said I wanted to avoid March. I already know exactly which Marh kit and it's price, that's why I want to go with a stock set up for the serpentine as was used from 87 - 94

JD

Spike wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Davison

Just go down to the bone yard and get what you need off of a Mustang or Lincoln. All the stock parts can be usually had for pretty cheap. Also, shop on e-bay. The only problem you'll have is A/C without P/S and no smog pump. There are no factory cars equipped that way. The smog pump isn't a huge problem, because it doesn't take much power to run, so simply use a slightly shorter belt. A/C without P/S is going to be a problem. There are idler arms available for A/C delete, but not sure if they would work for you. You might consider replacing the P/S pump with a vacuum pump. That would solve your problem, look trick, and gain you 10-15 hp. Otherwise, I think you'll have fab your own idler to replace the P/S pump.

Reply to
.boB

I've got an '88 serpentine setup in my '65 coupe....no air pump and no P/S. The big casting you mention holds the alternator and tensioner (and originally the air pump). The A/C compressor & P/S pump is held in place with some steel plates.

They aren't that noticeable.

One mod I did make was to put a small notch in the back of the aluminum casting to clear the oil dipstick tube.

Sorry I don't have any part numbers, but a trip to the junkyard or local performance shop (isn't there always a Mustang being worked on?) should help.

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale