Break it in??

I just bought an 04 GT the other day from a dealership. Because it's a brand new engine I'm not sure if I should baby it for awhile till it breaks in. Is there a break in period? or can I just drive it as if the engine was a year old?

Gumby...

Reply to
Gumby

Read your Owner's Manual. Generally, there is no break-in period requried for a Ford Modular engine.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

Drive it like you stole it! Know seriously take it easy till the motor warms (oil it takes longer than water). As miles increase drive it more agressively. Don't stay at the same rpm on the highway vary it(long trips). Thats what I did and my motor seems fine.

Reply to
pete

What ever happened to the break-in period? When I was growing up, the rule was to baby it for the first 1000 miles. Then at some point, I remember hearing it was 500 miles. Now the manufacturers don't recommend a break-in period at all.

Reply to
John

It went out the window along with pushrods, Kettering ignition systems, iron piston rings, 10w40 petroleum and fuzzy dice. Making out in the rumble seat is still an option, for a nominal fee.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams
10w40 is out?? What are we using instead? I must have been living in a cave for the last little while.

Gumby...

Reply to
Gumby

CEEERIPES MAN!!! Looks like I have to ditch the fuzzy dice too! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

JD Adams wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.here:

Pushrods are very much alive and well, as are fuzzy dice. You just have to know where to look.

Joe

was to baby it for the first 1000 miles. Then at some

recommend a break-in period at all.

Engines got better.

I still observe a sort of break-in period. I generally start out driving what most people would consider "normally" and progress to driving like the testosterone-laden teenager that I am after about 100 miles. Certainly, I can point at several examples of new cars and motorcycles over the last 15 years that this worked very well with.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

Heck, I don't even let them warm up? I've never observed any break in period on any of my cars, nor do I do anything special to warm them up. Just starththe damn thing and go! I generally keep the car till the whells fall off.

Reply to
joe