Burnouts for idiots?

This seems to be the opinion of most people I run into. Burnouts are not seen as a demonstration of power but of stupidity. The best idea being to plant the tires as fast as possible and transfer the energy to forward motion. I remember seeing a video about the American car culture showing some teen burning the 70-series tires on his 1974 Old's Cutlass by doing a brake lock on the automatic. I kind of wondered what the point was. I also remember a friend who had a

1971 351 Mustang who could burn rubber very easily, but the car itself wasn't that fast. Given that current tire technology will allow a drag car to lift all four wheels off the ground, (saw a photo of it happening in the most recent issue of MM and Fast Fords, I wonder what the point of burnouts is, beyond heating up the tires?
Reply to
rander3127

Doing a burn-out will heat the tires and, if all things are as they should be, clean them off. The smart money will have your back tires planted firmly in the pavement your burnout has prepared. Over-doing a burn-out can have a counter-productive result.

Think of it as preparing both tire and strip - but only if you use the strips you prepared.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Lets not forget intimidating the riceboys

*cackle*

Gumby619

Drive it...just drive it

Reply to
Gumby619

Have you ever done a long smoky burn out? If it doesn't make you smile, you're not a car guy.

Reply to
boB

My thoughts exactly. Last time I really roasted off those rear tires was when I had these 255/60R-15's ready to be mounted. Biiiiggo cloud of smoke. I was grinning ear to ear the whole time.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

And lets not forget that smell....NOTHING smells like a good burnout...makes me think of high school

Gumby619

(insert witty sig here)

Reply to
Gumby619

Yesssssss oh the smell. I never imagined myself liking that smell, but man.. it's great ;).

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

burnout...makes

Reply to
<memset

Gumby619 opined in news:lIW7d.18496$uY3.15577@fed1read03:

Yup... though idiocy can be taken to extremes.

I recall when I first started reading car mags, some jerk wrote in that 1/4 mile drags meant nothing... it was burnouts that measured a car.

He sealed the impression by pointing out that a 57 TBird held the record in his town.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

To use a George Carlin line of reasoning: If I do it, it's OK. If you do it, you're an idiot. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Maybe we need to make it artistic, like the olympics did when they turned one swimming event into "synchronized swimming?" I have seen one interesting burn out; A guy in the last-year Camaro S/S doing a complete figure

8 with his car while buring the tires.
Reply to
rander3127

Smoking your tires will clean your tires and also heat them up therefore producing better traction in a race situation. Otherwise, they are a complete waste of money (i.e. rubber lost to burnout).

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

and I suppose drifting is a real big no-no?

I vote for smoky burnouts myself. This being the main reason that I don't purchase expensive tires to begin with.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

I remember a time when I was in my early 20's I did a power brake burnout that left enough rubber on the pavement that we collected it all (it was VERY hot) and made a ball the size of a handball with it. This was back when one of my best friends owned a tire store...:-)

Gumby619

Drive it dammit!

Reply to
Gumby619

Let me rephrase that, we collected all the rubber that was just sitting on the pavement loose...:-)

Reply to
Gumby619

As far as drag racing goes, doing a burnout with street tires is unecessary.

Reply to
Mark

Personally, I don't like spinning tires. I much prefer tires that stick and press me deep into the seat with awesome acceleration. Spinning and smoke and burning rubber smell dont hold a candle to acceleration IMO.

LJH

95GT (331 stroker)

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

I saw a video of a tiburon that they mounted a 2nd engine to to drive the rear wheels, for a total of something like 618 wheel hp. At the end, he did about a 30 second burnout. the car finally stopped spinning only after he let off the gas... now THAT was impressive!

Reply to
LoTekGuru

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

Probably less than one Hemi drag engine today.

Reply to
rander3127

rander3127 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Guess again: