Oil loss problem seems to be quite fixed

Was losing 1 qt. every 500 miles on a '93 dohc with 120k miles.

Tried mmo soak, twice last year, didn't do it.

Tried gm top engine cleaner soak upon someone's advice who had something to do with Saturn at some point in another state. Helped some, and seems to have broken up ring deposits into chunks that came out the holes, yet, only improved oil loss to 1 qt. per 750 miles. Did seem to have more power though.

Upon Saturn parts guy recommendation, and after finding the marginal improvement by the gm top engine cleaner ring soak, tried the engine flush kit they, Saturn, sell. Freaking wow! Engine running much quieter. Car charges up long, steep hills and can accelerate like this engine was brand freak'in new. Oil loss, currently, only 1/2 quart per 1400 miles. You should see what that engine flush took out. Unbelievable. After the flush and 800 miles, I could NOT see the oil on the dip stick. It was that clean!! Oh, I'm getting 34 mpg around town and better on a trip now. I cannot believe the improvement. I cannot believe it.

Reply to
Shark

Shark,

Do you know the Saturn name for the flush kit and/or the part number ?

Please ?

Wayne

with Saturn at some

into chunks that

seem to have more

improvement by the gm top

Freaking wow! Engine

this engine was

should see what that

NOT see the oil on the

on a trip now. I

Reply to
Wayne

Shark,

Do you know the Saturn name for the flush kit and/or the part number ?

Please ?

Wayne

with Saturn at some

into chunks that

seem to have more

improvement by the gm top

Freaking wow! Engine

this engine was

should see what that

NOT see the oil on the

on a trip now. I

Reply to
Wayne

do with Saturn at some

deposits into chunks that

seem to have more

improvement by the gm top

Freaking wow! Engine

like this engine was

should see what that

NOT see the oil on the

on a trip now. I

It's BG products that Saturn sells which is not available in the general parts places. Came with BG engine flush and two cans of BG MOA. That this worked for me may be due to using the GM Top Engine cleaner first to break up the ring deposits. I followed what the saturn guy told me as to the procedure or steps exactly. No guarantee's and you take any risk on your own. It worked wonderfully for me but may not work as well for others.

Reply to
Shark

Like I said before also try Mobil 1 Clean 7500 (blue cap). Its synthetic and cheaper than the silver cap stuff, and doesn't burn much at all. Like from

1qt/200mi to 2 quarts every 3500 miles. (When I change it.) It should set you back $3 a bottle vs. $6.
Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Funny, I ran mobil 1 silver cap for along time and I had to stop using it as the engine was blowing that also and I couldn't justify the extra cost of that oil due to that expensive oil loss. Ran it for ~40k miles, and paid. Now I'm losing ~1 qt. regular 10w 30 oil per 2000 miles and the engine inside I know is way cleaner with way less varnish and sludge build up that was there and causing bad oil consumption. My car is running better than I can remember. Now I just have to watch out for the timing chain as I've never have replaced it yet with 130k miles on it. I'll see if I can get an expert to see if he can 'hear' the chain and whether it'll be wise to get that done any time soon. I sure feel great about the auto now. I've estimated that for every 2k miles I'm saving 3 qt.s of oil which comes to ~$7. If I drive 14k miles a year, I'm saving 7x$7 = $49 per year which more than pays for the flush. Just having the auto running so good is worth it alone. People that have since ridden in it are also impressed.

Reply to
Shark

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shark" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 1:10 PM Subject: Re: Oil loss problem seems to be quite fixed

Anybody else try this? I did the GM piston and ring cleaner a week and a half ago and went from a quart per 700 miles to about a quart in 1,000 miles (I put on 700+ per week). I'd give the BG a go if other's had good results... the local Saturn dealer wants $40 for the kit so if it's snake oil I'd just as soon pass!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I posted the original thread using the Saturn Engine Flush that uses BG products and thought I'd add more to this since I've put a few miles on it since using the Saturn/BG engine flush. Initially everything was looking great. Went 1200 miles with very little oil loss, ~1/4 qt. By the 1700 mile mark I added a qt. which really did not need a total qt. and thus was slightly overfilled by looking at the crosshatch per dip stick. 900 miles later it needed another qt. Makes me think there is still some gunk in the rings and it's just gumming up again. I can smell the oil again from inside the car. I have a bottle of GM Piston & Ring Cleaner which I intend to do another soak in a couple days plus change the oil. If this doesn't finally clean the rings then I'm giving up on any 'chemical' ring soak and intend to do a 're-ring' job on the engine by the fall of this year. I'll do all the other recommended engine stuff that others have recommended when pulling an engine. That said, the Saturn flush did make my engine run quieter and by the look of what came out of that engine after the flush, I'd say the flush really did get a heck of a lot of stuff out. So to me the flush was still very much worth it.

Reply to
Shark