Car dies while driving & I have no idea why.

Ok... I have a 1998 Ford Mustang GT 4.6litre V8 (I'm sure you all knew that since you're all gurus here ;>).. I've had a problem with the engine just spontaneously dying while driving. I just noticed the other posts about something like this, but I still need help. I had it towed to a local mechanic's place & he said there was an 8 volt loss at the battery so he replaced the battery terminals & voila... all 12 volts back & the car started no problem... then I drove for about 3 minutes & it died on me while driving... I couldn't start it back up. I noticed that it had lack of power though so I thought it might be the spark plugs... so I go to a local O'Reilly & picked up 8 Motorcraft Platinum spark plugs & eventually managed to get some in... I replaced all 4 that were easily accessible & 1 on the left side (hard to get to).. they all looked like they were in "eh.. could be replaced, but wouldn't hurt to leave 'em in" kinda condition... fair, but still could be replaced. Anyway... we replaced 'em & jump started the car & it started... then about 5 minutes later the car dies again... I put in a new fuse (it blows a 20A Max. fuse everytime I try to start it where it'll rotate, but not turn over) & we try to jump start it, but it does the same thing... rotates & won't turn over and ends up blowing the fuse. What possibly could be wrong? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

Turn over and rotate and crank all mean the same thing.

Wont fire, wont start, wont run, wont catch all mean the same.

WHAT FUSE? 20 Amp doesnt describe much. Are you saying a fuse blows each time it dies?

A good Perl programmer means you have a good mind.

Go to the Lib and get a couple good books on basice modern automobile operation... End up with Probst's book on Ford EFI.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I don't have an owner's manual (I bought it used & it didn't come with one & I never got around to buying one from Ford dealership) so I'm not exactly sure of which fuse it is... I can only describe it I suppose.. if you're on the driver's side looking towards the passenger's side.. it's on the far left... there are 2 yellow fuses (20 amp Max. fuses--big ones ;>).. and it's the one on "top" so to speak. I'm looking through the 2 repair manuals I have, but not having much luck detecting what it is. Again, any suggestions or ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

What would make it blow the fuse everytime I tried to start the car again though?

-Mike

appreciated.

Reply to
memsetpc

Maybe a short somewhere. A wire might be exposed and touching metal somewhere where it shouldn't be. Find out what the fuse is for and follow all of the wires and you might find the problem. I am not an electrical expert by any means though, but maybe this will help! Good luck! Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Erik,

...I guess I'll ask my g/f to take me to the local Ford dealership (they're a**holes btw so I don't like paying them a visit very often at all) tomorrow & figure out what the fuse is for... I have wiring diagrams in both repair manuals, but I haven't dealt with any sort of eletricity concepts in a few years so I'm sure I'll have difficulty figuring it out, but oh well. That does make sense though.. I have a lot of wires that look worn.. I'll spend tomorrow trying to figure it out I guess. Thanks for your input! Any other responses anyone? Please =). Thanks also!

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

Try this... stand in front of the car... the drivers side is the left (don't bother me son) the drivers side IS the left..... I take it you mean the battery junction box????? Look at the lid of the box cover... what is the number of the fuse. If you say "I think..." it's no good for us to go any firther.

I still don't understand "rotates but wont turn over..." - does not compute.... Additionally, why would you change half the plugs? Yoda said "do or do not... there is no try...". IIRC, '98 is a wasted spark system and the plugs in one bank WILL look a whole lot different from the plugs in the other.

This is a newsgroup where advice is offerred freely... some good some bad but if it works it don't hurt to thank folks. These people can't fix your car for you and you need to put some personal effort into the deal. It's your car that's broke, not ours.

Did you mean "8 volt drop...", I assume that the car wasn't driven to determine if there were other problems (invitation to disappointment) after the repair.

Give us some solid facts and we can help....

suggestions

Reply to
Jim Warman

Mike, Visit the TECHNICAL section of my website at

There you will find the neccesary diagrams of both the fuse box (under dash) and power distribution box (engine compartment) and what the fuses, circuit breakers, and relays control. Once you identify what the fuse controls it might help pinpoint your problem.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

Wasn't there a wire on the drivers side front that would chaff and cause the engine not to start? Just a thought.

appreciated.

Reply to
pete

As a note...

The tach in my1982 GLX was not working. I pulled fuses one a time, found a burned one, replaced it. I can't tell you anymore cuz I don't know much more... which circuit? Don't know. If I think of it, I'll look tomorrow (it's 11:52pm here!). If that same fuse/circuit to the tach was shorted, it just may keep the car from starting. Maybe.

Anyone?

-= Francis Yarra =- fyarraATjunoDOTcom

- My drywall website
- My C64 website