Changing the timing belt on my car. Need advice.

Hi. I have an '86 Mitsubishi Cordia and I am trying to change the timing belt on my car. I'm waiting to see if someone will lend me a chain
wrench in order to remove the pulley in the crankshaft spot. In the meantime, I thought i'd ask a few questions.
After I put both the car's timing belts properly aligned, will the car be good to go after everything else is put back exactly the way it was? For example, will the spark plug cables work in the same position as they were before the belts broke or will the cables need to be readjusted somehow? What i'm trying to ask is: is the're another step after you install the timing belt? For some reason, I think that i'm going to install the belts and the car is not going to work properly. Any tips? Thanks
Did you post on the wrong newsgroup on accident? This is RAMFM (rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang).
-Mike

>accident? This is RAMFM >(rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang).
I posted this in the right group. It's a timing belt question which can be answered universally for any make and model car by someone who is willing to help and has the smallest minuscule of mechanical knowledge. Maybe someone who has personal experience with car maintenance could answer this. It's just a timing belt question. It doesn't matter what make and model the car is (for the question I asked).
leviathan wrote:

Umm, wrong.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (leviathan) wrote:

What an idiot. This guy gets the prize.
le?vi?a?than ( P ) Pronunciation Key (l-v-thn) n. 1. Something unusually large of its kind, especially a ship.
This doesn't make much sense, maybe he has been reading too many of those 'member enlargement' spam messages that have been going around.
John
Two tips.... first, get the manual for your car.... read the applicable section THREE times (no 'speed reading' allowed). Second, find a forum or NG that is familiar with your car.

From: snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net (JimWarman)

>read the applicable section THREE times (no >'speed reading' allowed). Second, find a >forum or NG that is familiar with your car.
I noticed you e-mail addy starts with "mechanic". If you are a mechanic, then I sincerely pity whoever has the misfortune of landing in your shop. Any a mechanic would've immediately known that it doesn't matter what make and model the car is for the question I asked. I have the factory service manual for my specific car, and the Haynes service manual for this car which covers several different models. Neither manual mentions anything after the installation procedure of the timing belts. It explains how to align the marks on the sprockets with the corresponding marks on the cylinder head or engine block. I asked if after aligning whatever it is that needs alignment, do the spark plug cables go exactly the way the were when I disconnected the distributor cap? Or do the cables need to be readjusted and positioned differently? I also asked for tips (such as things that people may commonly overlook when performing this type of procedure). If you think that installing a timing belt is a extremely different task for different makes and models then you are wrong.
Then you would realize that there are no standardized timing marks...... as a for instance.... the late 2.3 Fords feature both a diamond and a triangle on both the intermediate sprocket as well as the cam sprocket. IIRC, the triangle is the mark for the cam and the diamond is the mark for the intermediate shaft. The 2.0 SPI motor has two marks on the cam sprocket.... it is quite simple for the neophyte to mistake the wrong mark for the right one. One of the marks on the SPI cam sprocket is a triangle... the other is NOT a diamond. Since you possess a factory service manual, you have all the information you need at your fingertips.
In light of your boorish behaviour, there may be a slim chance that you will find much help........ not that your obviously superior intellect needs any...
(Jim Warman)

From: snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net (JimWarman)

>standardized timing marks...... as a for >instance.... the late 2.3 Fords feature both a >diamond and a triangle on both the >intermediate sprocket as well as the cam >sprocket. IIRC, the triangle is the mark for the >cam and the diamond is the mark for the >intermediate shaft. The 2.0 SPI motor has two >marks on the cam sprocket.... it is quite >simple for the neophyte to mistake the wrong >mark for the right one. One of the marks on >the SPI cam sprocket is a triangle... the other >is NOT a diamond. Since you possess a >factory service manual, you have all the >information you need at your fingertips.
Exactly. I was worried about the cables though. Do the spark plug cables go exactly the same position they were when they were removed or is the firing order different somehow after changing the timing belts? Any commonly overlooked things when performing this type of procedure?

>be a slim chance that you will find much >help........ not that your obviously superior >intellect needs any...
Sorry. I've been getting the typical retarded teenage animosity about cars' makes and models where "it's a Mitsibishi you're posting in the wrong group" when clearly anyone who isn't a woman or has small knowledge about these things would know that timing belts are timing belts. It doesn't change much from car to car.
<SIGH>.... if it don't change much fro car to car, I suggest you take a look at the timing instructions for the 3.4 Chevy DOHC or take a look at what Subaru has done with theirs......
Retarded teenage animosity is when someone dumps on people stating plain and truthful facts. The timing belt only affects the timing of the camshaft to the crankshaft as well as the intermediate shaft where applicable. Changing the timing belt will only affect the positioning of the plug wires into the cap when intermediate shaft timing (where applicable) is not addressed.
Again, all timing belts are not created equal.
He's on webtv. Need I say more. StuK

Stuart&Janet wrote:

ROFL....
Okay...now you're just being stupid.
I'll let the very knowlegable women of this group handle your clearly asinine remark if they so choose.
As for timing belts being timing belts...well there are timing chains, timing gears... ...single-cam, dual-cam, four-cam engines, the list goes on. Some belts drive the distributor...some don't...I think my old 2.3l belt even drove a mechanical fuel pump. Some engines are non-intereference (take off your old belt and spin the crank a few times to see if yours is one) Face it junior, there is a WIDE variety of timing belt/chain applications that all come with different 'common' things to look for.
If you think that the timing order will mysteriously change, then you shouldn't be let near an engine.
About the only general advice that might be helpful to you is that you should check the orientation of the rotor pre and post belt change. I'll let you figure out the why.
in the end, the best advice I can give is get some common sense....you desperately need it.
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:08:00 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (leviathan) wrote:
</snip>

Nick Burns wrote:

I had an Escort that the timing belt drove teh water pump.

My '97 Contour is the same way.
--
-Keith
'96 GT 5spd ... with an '02 engine
" when clearly anyone who isn't a woman or has small knowledge about these things would know that timing belts are timing belts. It doesn't change much from car to car.
Who isn't a woman... ???!!!
uh huh.. and people like you who aren't TROLLS.
Kate
leviathan wrote:

Okay, you are excused. This question alone gives full insight as to why you would post a Mitsubishi question in a Mustang news group and then become indignant we someone points out that you would get better answers in a Mitsubishi group. Unfortunately, for those that live near you, it also points out that you should not only NOT be allowed to pilot a motor vehicle, but that you should not be allowed to roam freely out of doors without a leash...

The fact that you asked this question pretty much indicates you should let someone else do the job.

A. The particulars do change from car to car, even the intervals between changes is different, even between different years of the same car and engine.
B. Very few motors in Mustangs use T-belts. The only one I can think of was the 2.3 and the turbo 2.3 (same basic motor with a T-03 and different internals) Everything else is push rod and timing chain.

was the

internals) Everything

No pushrods in the V8s since '96. They use chains, but they don't have pushrods.
--
-Keith
'96 GT 5spd ... with an '02 engine

Then why the fuck ask anyone, since you seem to already know it all?
Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)