Changing plugs on a 4.6

How hard of a job is this? Local shops want anywhere from 50 to 75 to do it and thats with me suppling the plugs. Thanks Pat

Reply to
Mstngcnv96

Pretty easy with set of extenders and universal joints for the socket wrench.

Reply to
Brent P

Not bad at all, once you get into it you'll see how to do it, its tough for me to explain though(i'm not good at splaining things) I would definitely save the 50-75 bucks, it should be a less than an hour job. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

What year 4.6 do you have? I've heard some conflicting reports so far, but the latest models have the COP system, which means "coil on plug". From what I can tell just by looking under the hood of my `03, the COPs are directly under the fuel rails, with almost zero clearance. I have still not yet found out whether or not the fuel rails must come off to get the coils and plugs out. Some people have suggested that there "might" be enough clearance to get the COPs off without removing the fuel rails, but I guess I will not know for sure until I try it, or until someone reports back with some accurate info.... my Haynes manual says nothing about any of this. Hopefully the COPs fit over the plugs in such a way that makes it easy to maneuver them so they can be tilted sharply and squeezed out past the fuel rails. So... if you have a late-model, this is one issue to look into that could potentially be a headache. Taking the fuel rails out might be a pain. Other than that, just make sure to blow out any dirt from the plug wells before removing the plugs (using compressed air). If compressed air is not available, a powerful shop vac may help to suck some dirt out, but compressed air is better for dislodging sand, grit, etc. Make sure to seat the new plugs properly, do not overtighten..... if you are not sure how "tight" they should be by hand, you may wish to invest in a good torque wrench, because too tight or too loose can be a bad thing.

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

Reply to
Erik D.

Rein

Like I said it is tight, but I have done it or have seen it done without removing the fuel rails on two cars. The first car I did it on was a '00 GT, the other was a '01 GT. Both of them were tight, but we were able to squeeze them out. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

No. 99 up

Reply to
Brent P

yeah. I checked a manual and it says the 96 to 98 have one coil per 2 plugs, and plug wires..

thanks

Rein