Charlene is dead.

I am in total disbelief. Today was truly a tempest from hell, which culminated in a shocking climax: Charlene's engine will not start. She cranks nicely and ran fine all afternoon. After doing some banking, I jump in and give it the 1/2 second blip and.......nothing. I crank more. Nothing.

With the key on, I hear the fuel pump whirring quietly and the fuel rail is pressurized. I've done nothing to the engine in the last 6 mos. I couldn't tell you if the CEL is on, since a running engine is required to see it.

So, here I am, sitting in front of Wamu, cranking a nice looking Mustang, as crowds of 20-something bohemian/starbucks/Quizno's morons stroll past with that ever-popular stupid drooling thing going. It became even more humiliating when the flatbed showed up. Every 'dude' for 300 feet walked up and asked me what was wrong with it. At this point, air support and salvo fire seemed like viable options to me. Running buck naked through a strip mall would have been far less humiliating. At least the tow was free. (Thanks, AAA.)

I digress. I now have a few days to think about my next move. She sits in the garage while the $50.00 Beater laughs at the both of us. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd cuss her, but here it is. A code scanner might be a good purchase right about now. A simple dead crank sensor may be to blame, who knows? Has anyone here faced such a dilemma? I know of a very good independent shop here in town who will help...for a price. The cost of the diagnostic alone would pay for a code scanner.

Sadly, I've been thinking of selling her and buying a new Harley Softail as a replacement. These thoughts now seem more relevant and appropriate. Was it not I who recommended a 4.6L Mustang GT to another RAMFM member just days earlier because it was so ..RELIABLE?????!!!??

Suggestions entertained and appreciated.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

"Borrow" a code reader using O'Reilly or Autozone's "Loan-a-tool" program or whatever. I gotta say I am relieved though... I read the subject "Charlene is dead." and immediately thought the car was totaled. Phew!!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

JD, this is how I ended up having Shug carried 85 miles to an SVT Dealer. Before I did though, I replaced a battery, a starter and flooded her good and proper.

Check the pigtail in the column that connects the PATS system. I have to say honestly that I did not SEE it open, so I can't tell you exactly what it looks like but it connects the ignition in the column and it has a technical service bulletin on it. Just a thought, I hope it helps.

Kate PS: She heard you.... that's why she is acting that way.

Reply to
SVTKate

Check the basics first..... just because you hear a fuel pump run does not mean there is fuel pressure..... also, simply pushing in on the Schraeder valve and watching a geyser of fuel is not a viable fuel pressure test. Naturally, one would check for spark and codes, as well as making sure that the appropriate connections are clean and tight.

You mention that you can't tell if the CEL is illuminated or not... if the CEL doesn't light up KOEO it is likely that the PCM isn't waking up..... something as simple as a fuse or a relay may be a cause.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Check codes first. It could have a code stored (don't pull the battery since thatmight erase a code that you won't see back without running engine). This is a 95, isn't it ? I don't think they had PATS then. (at least mine didn't) uhm, check fuel pressure (unlikely , you'de get at least some stumbling if there was low pressure.) Other than that.. likely some ignition issue. Good luck on that one.

Rein

It's fallacy to think that modern technology will *eliminate* the need for repairs. More parts means more parts that *will* fail. Bailing out on a car because you couldn't fix it in the parking lot is just throwing a tantrum, Old Fart style. Most people in this group can't work on thier own cars without help; why should you be any different?

Reply to
CobraJet

Overreaction to the max.... this assumes that old carbed points/condenser machines never died in a parking lot.

YOur PCM IS probably working or you wouldnt have the Fuel pump cycle.

Does your tach bounce when you crank? (and why do I keep having to point that out)

No bounce = ign problems And in this case a simple timing light or test light would be more efficient than a code reader

JD Adams opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.here:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It's a 98 I'm pretty sure.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Good suggestion. I'm not up for spending money on tools right now anyway. Autozone it is.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

The CEL does light up KOEO and other PCM functions seem normal. Haven't hooked up a pressure guage to the fuel rail yet; will do that tomorrow, along with borrowing a code scanner from Autozone.

I'll let ya know what happens.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

My money's on a nonop crank sensor. I'll check those codes tomorrow morning.

-JF

Reply to
JD Adams

JD Adams wrote: > Has anyone here faced such a

I have. It was the recently (at the time) installed Jacobs ignition. I didn't click the switch....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I'm more puzzled as to why it won't start, than angry. Ford's 4.6's are normally extremely reliable, rivaling Dodge's old Slant-6, points, carburetor and all. The EFI and ignition systems on these cars are simple in design and nearly bulletproof. But like any other machine, they're going to occasionally fail; that's just the nature of the beast I guess.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

I once cleaned the EGR and didn't get the gasket lined up right before reinstalling. A high idle and CEL happened almost immediately. Usually problems like this are related to the last 'thing' you did to it, and can be easily traced back. A complete no-start condition on this particular car however, is troubling. As reliable as the 4.6's are, I've always figured it would take an act of God to keep it from starting. Apparantly I was wrong.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

You guys name your cars? Koooo... Kooooo!

Reply to
Mark

at 16 Oct 2004, JD Adams [ snipped-for-privacy@nospam.here] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.here:

My commiserations JD. But It may end up being something really simple. I'm sure she did not do it on purpose. Sell her? hmm, I offer you $100 for her and will pick her up. :-)

Reply to
Paul

Wow! $100 dollars? A mighty tempting offer there 'Pard, I'll have to think on that one for a while. I'm now off to Autozone to procure a code scanner. I have a feeling her computer wishes to communicate with me in the worst way.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

I still think it's your PATS system.

It'll be interesting to see what it turnes out to be. Well, for SOME of us maybe, for you it may not be so much fun.

K.

Reply to
SVTKate

You DON'T ?

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top aka: "Shug" (short for Sugar)

| >> I have. It was the recently (at the time) installed Jacobs ignition. I | >> didn't click the switch.... | >

| > I once cleaned the EGR and didn't get the gasket lined up right before | > reinstalling. A high idle and CEL happened almost immediately. Usually | > problems like this are related to the last 'thing' you did to it, and can | > be easily traced back. A complete no-start condition on this particular | > car however, is troubling. As reliable as the 4.6's are, I've always | > figured it would take an act of God to keep it from starting. Apparantly | > I was wrong. | >

| > -JD | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I don't name my car, or any other inaminate object for that matter(not that there's anything wrong with that). BTW Kate...would a woman give a male or female name to her car?

Gumby...

Reply to
Gumby