check engine light-93 LX 4 cyl Mustang

The other day my check engine light came on. Car was still running fine except that the tach was jumping up and down with no real relation to my speed. I wasn't able to check anything that afternoon and didn't crack open the shop manual. The next day, back to normal, no check engine light. I haven't had a chance yet to hook up my code checker but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this? thanks

Reply to
sanpablo

new one for me. If it happens again call a priest with holy water.

Reply to
Krieg wit dem Suden

My guess is that some component is on its last leg and about ready to expire or something needs a good cleaning. Check engine lights coming on isn't necessarily the sign of impending doom. If the car runs normally then I wouldn't be too concerned. Buy a code reader from the auto parts store. They are dirt cheap for your model of Mustang. It will point you in the right direction to find the problem. I have run cars for thousands of miles with the check engine light on with no problems. If the car runs fine, the gauges are showing normal and your gas mileage isn't affected then it is likely something minor and you can drive the car with the light on without causing any damage.

Reply to
Michael Johnson