Clogged Injector(s)

My '90 LX 5.0 has developed a miss which has been determined by my mechanic to being clogged injector(s) He wants to pull the intake manifold to run some tests to determine which one(s) it is. Since I plan to keep the car forever it seems to make more sense just to replace them all even if it costs more now.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

In a perfect world it would be nice to replace fuel injectors every year. The cost of one fuel injector is bad enough, but have you priced an entire set?

Reply to
Kruse

about 200 for 19lb

Reply to
IsellJeeps

First, he doesn't need to pull the manifold to remove the injectors. Maybe pulling the upper might make the job easier. I suggest getting a can of BG 44K and run it through the fuel system. If might unclog the injector and only cost you $20. Depending on what you're being charged for cleaning you might just want to buy a new set of injectors and be done with it. Also, there are many, many used sets that can be had for cheap on most Mustang web sites.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

buying used injectors is a little weiry..... I dont mind used parts but used injectors could be clogged as well

Reply to
IsellJeeps

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

The obvious solution is to buy a new set of 30lb injectors and a little accessory called a supercharger. All problems solved.

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Reply to
Joe

Except for the occasional blown head gasket. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Dave, If you plan to keep the car "as is" then a new set of injectors makes sense. The two main reasons for injector failure is the solenoid itself and that the internal filter is clogged.

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx

Thanks to all of you for your advice and comments. As I drive less than

5,000 miles per year it makes sense to "go all the way" (Oh well, what that used to mean!) and replace all the injectors. Car only has 105,000 miles with low insurance and license fees so why not. I do plan the keep the car forever. The most it could cost me is the equivalent of one or two new car payments.

Thanks again to all.

Reply to
Dave Combs

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but the 90's CPU has a built in self-test protocol which can pin point the faulty injector for you. Just run the Key On Engine Off test followed by the Key On Engine Running test after compellation of the Key On Engine Running test press the throttle part way to the floor, this will start the engines injector diagnostic. The CPU just drops one injector off line at a time then looks for a RPM drop, if it drops an injector and doesn't see a drop it shows that cylinder as faulty, just count the number of flashes of the check engine light that's the number of the cylinder that isn't working.

Reply to
ironrod