Vapor lock? '90 Maxima

Is this what vapor lock is like? What is the remedy when it happends? Should I have done something else?

Hot day in Portland - first of the season. Drove '90 Maxima about 50 miles, freeway. Parked in sun while visiting Mother's Day event. 4 hrs later starting, it sounded like its was missing (that's what I've heard it called before). Like a spark plug or cylinder was not active. I went about

3 miles, freeway; but such loss of power; felt like stalling. I pulled over, parked for an hour in tiny shaded but hot spot. I took the gas cap off for a moment.

Started up after the hr, still missing, but a bit better. Drove home the

50 miles. Fuel gauge said just over 1/2 tank; after about 35 miles, I pulled into gas station, got plus. It only took on 3 gallons, so the tank didn't fill all the way up - no more would go in.

Got home, it still sounded like it was missing. I was able to get up to 55 and 60, but the umph wasn't there.

Any suggestions on what might be going on? Thank you!

Reply to
judyg

Modern cars don't "vapor lock", that was something old carburated cars with mechanical fuel pumps did. Todays cars have too a high a fuel pressure (and recirculate the fuel) for this to happen and the pump is in the tank so the supply of fuel isn't hot. You have some toher problem, maybe Bosch platinum plugs?

Reply to
Steve T

I'm not sure what kind of plugs. Are Bosch a problem? If plugs are a problem, what kinds of things make them go haywire? (you might be able to tell, I'm a driver, not a mechanic). Thank you!

Reply to
judyg

I'm not sure what kind of plugs. Are Bosch a problem? ... The last sound:

*bosch*

If you dont know about your plugs, first thing is to swap. I suggest NGK, platinum. Never Bosch.

Also change disrt cap & wires - if last change date is unknown. This is just for starters; a museum vehicle needs lots things to keep purrin. See all link pages below and read...

Reply to
Wiikinki

Sounds to me like an ignition problem, which is usually the place to start when looking for tuning problems. Check the cap and rotor and the spark plug wires to see if they are all good. That is the cheapest easiest possible fix.

Reply to
Hazey

Thanks all - I am waiting to see what the auto shop says. Since I'm not a mechanic myself, and it was still acting up this morning, I had to take it in. But this information will help me know questions to ask.

Reply to
judyg

Mechanic said it's a fuel injector - dead. Suggests replacing all 6 - $1400 (which includes replacing the corroded wiring harness to all the injectors). Replace just the 1 injector - $900.

With 285,000 on the Maxima, I am considering upgrading to another vehicle.

Reply to
judyg

Bosch platinum plugs ARE a problem and they can go "haywire" with no warning and do what you described.

Reply to
Steve T

For that kind of money and those miles, changing to a newer vehicles makes alot of sense. I am assuming that the $900 is because the injector is under the intake manifold, and it would take him a while to get to it and reassemble. Still seems a little high though, and to tell you the truth it sounds from your symptoms that you might have more than one that is bad. Usually one won't cause quite that much trouble, and I am loathe to question your mechanic since I have not seen the vehicle.

At this age, pretty much anything in your car could start to go: fuel pump, trans, CV joints, brake calipers . . . anything. $1400 could take you a long way to a newer car. I would go for the newer used car if I were you. Sounds like you have a great max there though if it took you this far. Best of luck.

Reply to
Hazey

People forget that in certain areas of the country, the labor rate is MUCH higher. A friend of mine works out "in the country" and they charge $30 a hour. We charge $75 and I know some shops charge $100+ an hour. Add some diagnostic time, repairing it in a metro area using dealer parts and this sounds close.

Reply to
Steve T