Considering 02 coupe

Auto with 18k miles on it.

Are 'stangs generally reliable cars? I rented an '04 recently for a long trip and found it to be a nice ride so I'm just looking for what I might expect from it a couple of years down the road.

Never owned one and am looking for input from owners.

Thank you.

Reply to
Nursinglifeline

Depends on how much abuse the car has seen. Generally they've been reliable to most ppl that I know... mine has been reliable USUALLY.. but it has caused me some grief (but the car you're looking at is also 4 years newer than mine..). I'd say check it out extremely thoroughly... see how the previous owner drove it (older person driving will generally take it easy on it compared to a 16 year old).. and if you really want the car & the price is right.. snag it!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

I think you're safe. Overall there aren't many things that will break until in the 100K range or so. Just take good care of the transmission. I'd do fluid changes more often than recommended if I were you. Is this a v6 ? Make sure there is some sort of maintenances history available to you (even though that probably means oil changes only) With 18K miles on it, it should look almost new. If not, it's been neglected.

Rein

Take the time to review this page on the Mustangs:

-=G

Reply to
Grumbler

And this one, too:

*

-=G

Reply to
Grumbler

I had some issues that were taken care of under warranty on my 2002GT. There was a 12 inch gap of missing sealant on the right side of the windshield, which caused a big water leak untill it was corrected. Right front wheel speed sensor failed. Tremec 3650 transmission TSB was done this Fall. There is a thread over on StangNet on the TSB. Martin

2002GT 243 rwhp
Reply to
Martin

How did that TSB on the Tremec work out ? Did it fix the issue ? This was about the notchy shifting from first to second, correct ?

Rein

Yes the TSB for the Tremec cured the notchy feeling between first & second. Everything is fine. Lighthouse Ford in Falmouth Ma, did it with out any issues, and no problem having a Hurst shifter in my GT. Martin

Reply to
Martin