Which engine has better reliability? 1.9 SOHC or 1.9 DOHC?

Hi everyone, I recently was looking at a Saturn SC2 and the dealer told me that in his opinion the 1.9 DOHC is more reliable. Is that true? I know in the history of GM, most of their DOHC engines are crap so I was wondering if he was just telling me that to get me to buy the car. For future reference it would be nice to know which of those two engines is the more reliable one. Thank you.

Reply to
wiguy79
1.9 has a problem with cracking cylinder head "wiguy79" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
Reply to
D. Gignac

Thats an awful broad statement.

First off the 1.9's are not GM engines. They are of British design and they kinda vary in quality. I'd prefer the the DOHC myself because it usually is more reliable. Dealers are usually full of it but in this case there was truth to his statement.

As for GM DOHC engines would you call a 32 valve Northstar or a Ecotec crap? I sure as hell wouldnt. The Quadfour and DOHC 3.4 V6 are the only ones I can think of that have issues. The new Ecotecs have been excellent and unlike cheepo Hondas they dont use timing "belts" and neither does the Saturn 1.9's.

Reply to
blah blah

"D. Gignac" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

the '95-'96 SOHC had a casting flaw in the head in SOME cases.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

quote "First off the 1.9's are not GM engines. They are of British design and they kinda vary in quality."

Very interesting, blah blah. I didnt even know that. Not much info about the

1.9 on GM websites. Can you please post a link with more info about the origins of the 1.9? Thanx,

marx404

Reply to
marx404

huh?

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Were they manufactured by the British too?

Thanks,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Actual GM sites afaik wont mention it and I've google searched the crap out of and couldnt find anything. Its a been a very hard engine to pin down. Maybe someone else here knows a good link?

These here are GM's current line ups

Notice the supercharged Ecotec is made in Germany and the NA is built in the US. I think something simular was done with the DOHC and OHC 1.9's. Anyhow, calling a 1.9L a GM motor is like calling the 3.5L Honda engine used in Vue's a GM motor. Neither were adopted as GM corporate motors and you wont likely find a GM badge on the castings anywhere.

Reply to
blah blah

Heh. No wonder nothing crosses with GM engines on them.

Varied? They're an interesting design that works well (generally). The lower end on them is awfully meaty for an inline 4, plus it's got that funky windage tray in there, which also stiffens things up, I suppose.

Interesting. It works for me, but I'm forever getting noisy lifters. I think I'm gonna get a few from the u pull it, and really clean them up and put them in when I do the clutch (gonna drop the whole mess down and deal with it that way - it's ultimately easier and we've got the shit to lift the body up that much).

My big gripe is it hates running in the cold and tends to be wimpy or stall. Not sure what's going on there - I suspect the fuel regulator's freezing up or something...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

and

Bull! the '92-'96 SOHC had a casting flaw in about 100,000 cases- not SOME cases. If you can't tell the truth or don't know the truth- give your keyboard a rest!

Reply to
misterfact

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

Did you get the letter from Saturn? I got 2 copies - have both '95 and a '96 SOHC. Only 2 years affeced - please do us all a favor - change you name from "misterfact" to "missBULL"

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Mistercrap must be on his 1000th keyboard by now so he's not one to talk.

Yeah we all know that pissant is full of facts. LMAO

Reply to
blah blah