Disk Brake Conversion on 71 Sportsroof

I am in the process of upgrading the front end of the '71. I have purchased the Mustang Plus complete suspension rebuild kit and the steering kit. I am thinking of upgrading to disk brakes. I am looking at the following disk conversion. I know the rotors and pads might be ok, but can the calipers be rebuilt and not have to worry about catastrophic failure. What else should I be concerned about with a deal as such?

Anyone dealt with this seller before? I can't get a response from email.

Thanks Scott

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

I'd treat those calipers as cores...check around your area for prices on new/rebuilt ones.

Get new brake hoses.

Looks like they have a decent feedback...but the stuff they are selling make me think junkyard...if they ever reply I would insist on them measuring (with a micrometer) the thickness of the rotors...they could be freshly turned, but if they were turned too thin they're worthless in my opinion. The minimum thickness is listed on the rotors...probably around the hub or on the edge.

You might need a proportioning valve or metering block to reduce pressure to the rears...most drum-to-disc conversion need some kind of pressure reduction to the rears....I'm just not sure about your application. For example. in the following link, it looks like there is something attached to the master cylinder which may be a stock metering/distribution block.

And a last piece of knowledge from my Mustang past. My brother had a '73 with front discs and we once tried putting a 14" stock steel rim on the front and found that it hit the caliper. So if you have plain-jane wheels there might be a chance they won't clear.

Hope that helps DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Reply to
walt peifer

You can use 14" wheels but back then they had to be the proper rim for disc brake equipped cars. Your brother's stock wheels were from a drum equipped application. A very god point you brought up nevertheless! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

brake equipped

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

The SSBC kit my son-in-law to be installed on his '65 is outstanding. Somewhat pricey, everything fit perfectly. 16"+ wheels required though.

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

I found out the hard way when I accidently mixed up my spare tire with a mid '70s Montego. When I got a flat in the Merc one day the drum wheel's center hole wouldn't even clear the huge disc rotor hub never mind the caliper! Thank god for roadside assistance.;^) StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet