Does the price of fuel affect street behavior?

Beleive it or not, they do seem to have quiet a few state troopers in Kansas - they have the best roads they I have seen in the nation, but they enforce the 75 mph speed limit. Here in Colorado, I-25 has to be the most beat-up peice of shit called an Interstate Highway, and you can run 90 mph and the cops don't care.....

Reply to
Ralph Snart

I don't know... I kinda have a thing for Ford's Lightning and Dodge's SRT-10.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Well, I think that when a typical "car guy" is forced into SUV-dom due to having kids and an expanding family, he is still driven to make WHATEVER he is driving better than it already is. It's the old Hot Rodding mentality that says: If a little is good then too much is even better. I say why not have a Tahoe that can haul azz and still haul 6. I mean, it's not me yet, but someday I may be in that position and that doesn't automatically mean that I stop liking to go fast.

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike
** Ralph Snart wrote: ** ** > I could care less about looks, but I need something reliable that I won't be ** > afraid to drive 200-500 mile trips without fear of breaking down in buttfuck ** > Kansas... ** > ** > ** ** Hmmm, never been there. What's it like ??

I've been there. It stinks. Just head north on the Hershey Highway for an unforgettable driving experience.

I can't believe I just wrote this.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** With so few people with those values, dating becomes difficult. I need ** a digital camera to capture some of the looks I've gotten driving the ** torqueless wonder car.

Funny you should mention this. Dating is nearly impossible when one simply lives well within their means these days. Gals expect you to blow serious coin on them or you don't the time of day. (Working gals excluded.)

If my last date ever got a glance at my portfolio, she would have begged to marry me on the spot. Instead, she told me she was offended and embarrassed to ride in my Beater car. Jeez, I even washed and vacuumed it out beforehand, and had it smelling pretty good before I showed up. Oh well.

This morning, I exit a freeway off ramp and park on the shoulder to make a cell phone call. A CHP officer actually pulled in behind me, walked up and asked if I had broken down and needed help. Until this morning, I had no idea The Beater looked THAT bad.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** Do they offer you a jar of vaseline to go with that fill up? ** Out here we are at a miserable $1.83 for 93 (yup 93) octane

Oh man, life is HARD out there, ain't it? :)

Actually, for me, it's not THAT big a deal. One of the perks of being a trucking company dispatcher is the ever-popular company fuel card. I don't pay a penny for fuel, and use as much as I want. Still, I don't see the need to waste a finite natural resource.

** I took Shug ** out yesterday and sure as life, there was some moron trying to hump the back ** of my car again. I just cannot figure it out!

There must be something inherently sexual about following a Ford Mustang. I've checked my bumper to see if an Idiot Magnet was installed, and my only other theory, that a $100-dollar bill was taped to the rear bumper turned out to be a false lead as well.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** At my former employer they liked to threaten people's jobs occasionally ** as motivation. Myself and another complusive saver I worked with laughed ** at them. Their tatics designed for people who see themselves homeless if ** they lose a paycheck just don't work on a people who can tighten the belt ** and go for a couple years without a job.

HA! I thought I was the only one who grasped this kind of attitude. It's nice to laugh in the face of a martinet when job security becomes an issue, isn't it? Oh, the freedom!

I'm having fun primarily driving The Beater. I bought Charlene to work one day last week, and everyone wanted to know about the 'new car' I'd bought. All were shocked to discover I owned two cars, and Charlene was actually 6 1/2 years old and paid for.

No one ever got rich by borrowing money.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Damned! Now that's poor taste (no pun intended). I'm proud of you!

I can't either....

Reply to
Ralph Snart

"Patrick" wrote >

The SRT-10 is now the fastest production truck on the market.

Reply to
Scott Williams

LMAO !!!!!

Nah......guess I'm getting old!! LOL!!

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

Now THAT is cool!

But an Explorer racing a Trailblazer........ :rolleyes:

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

Sounds like Oklahoma...the miles and miles part. Also sounds like Oklahoma when you talk about beat up roads.

I-40 cross-town in OKC is affectionately known as pothole highway.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

That is why I loved my dearly departed Passport soooooo much. Oh well, $1200 or so could get her a heart transplant.

Don Manning

distressing.

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I notice the same thing. I am constantly being tailgated in the GT, but when we drive the minivan it rarely happens. The thing is, I am usually the one going the fastest. I speed constantly, yet it doesn't seem to draw attention in the minivan.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Note in point, the guy with the 12 sec turbo Chrysler mini-van.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

That's why big block station wagons exist. An SUV will always suck, a station wagon can be just as good as any other car in it's size class, just maybe not as pretty.

Reply to
Brent P

A woman I dated called me cheap because of the following:

1) I wouldn't vallet park my mustang. (She could not grasp that the money wasn't the issue, giving my keys to some car jockey was. I parked it in the lot myself, paid, and *KEPT* the keys and prayed. 2) I like walking instead of taking a cab a few blocks. (We were in downtown chicago, and I being a previous city dweller didn't want to act like a suburb rube. In the city, we don't take cabs for 6 blocks! As a topper, I was sick, I should have called off the date, but I went through with it.)

And this was the one that inspired her telling me that for my own improvement:

3) I wouldn't fly out to her wedding in mexico and be alone in a crowd since she would be the only person I knew there. I didn't think it right for me to go, plus getting a 'oh wanna come to my wedding in a month' email told me I was a 6th teir guest anyway. Usually when someone I know asks if I want to go to their wedding, they ask months in advance and I get a real invite with everybody else.

I don't take dates out in the beater. While mine never has smelled bad it's really worn out. The dash pad is cracked the carpet is worn, only the drivers seat has significant wear on it though.

*laff*

All this aside though, I've noticed how cheaply one can buy an 80s-early 90s porsche, even some ferraris. A thread in another newsgroup indicated that the women cannot tell the difference. One guy had stories about his $5k mercedes diesel.... I've been tempted to buy something like an old/cheap aston martin, porsche, whatever for a long time regardless and recently I learned that working on a 911 isn't difficult at all. Pop the engine out in a couple hours with a floor jack and jackstands. So it's very tempting.

Reply to
Brent P

Oh yes. I remember having to drive code 3 (lights and sirens) from Tinker AFB to Baptist Hospital in a 3 ton, twin turbo, diesel, 4x4 ambulance going ~90mph on I-40. I think I hit my head on the roof about 20 times! Those locations are roughly the opposite side of town for those not in the know. That 'bolance was freaking FAST. 0-60-0 in less than a block! It was also First On Race Day! :)

Reply to
Scott Williams

I get made fun of a little for how I keep my mustang. but it still gets now and then. Glad I chose to drive to work yesterday. I heard a light grinding noise from the back. Pulled off the passenger side rear wheel when I got home from work, inner brake pad is down to the backing plate effectively... Go to murrays, and of course, the good pads are just-too-late inventory. Get them from the wearhouse next day.

But a few have gotten rich gambling borrowed money. (but poor much more often)

Reply to
Brent P

I'd agree with the Porsche, but those Astons, and Ferraris, etc which you can pick up cheap will KILL you for special parts and repairs, not to mention insurance. A fellow service member picked up one of those government sale ferraris down in Florida for something like $6500. It ran ragged but looked great. The tuneup cost $5000 AFTER he shopped around.

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger