Dumass car makers!!

Gun safeties are there for a far better reason than redesigning a window switch. Think about it, if you can.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Thomas Moats

And just how do you call not letting children play in cars as "conforming to the product"? It's nice when our products don't kill us when a mistake is made? Then DO NOTHING! There is inherent risk in every thing you do! You just sit back and let big brother take care of you. Aberrantly you are not able to do so for your self.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

"Thomas Moats" wrote

"Safety begins with me!" (Where did that old slogan originate? Can't remember, but I use to see it alot)

Sure, you're responsible for you're own safety. But it's nice when our products don't kill us when we make a mistake.

I like to think of it as products being designed for the way we use them, rather than us conforming to the product.

Reply to
J Alex

"Thomas Moats" wrote

Why the pointless insult?

Reply to
J Alex

Reply to
Thomas Moats

See why I don't crosspost.... StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

"Stuart&Janet" wrote

Yes. I try to snip the other groups, but usually forget to look until after sending.

Reply to
J Alex

Reply to
Thomas Moats

But it's not "a mistake"--it's a series of them, in this case. And they're not "split-second" descisions, either. The parents made at least two really stupid choices 1) Leave the keys in the ignition in the "On" or "Acc" position, and 2) leave the child in the car, unsupervised, and evidently unrestrained.

Beyond the danger of the kid getting caught in the window, that parent has made it really easy for someone to hop in the car, and take off, with their kid still inside (or for that matter, to just grab the kid and run)

This isnt meant to be hyperbole, but at what point have the auto makers made a reasonable effort to engineer their products for safety, and at what point is it the responsibility of the driver to have two functioning brain cells they can rub together? If we designed passenger cars like NASCAR stock cars, and required everyone riding in the car to wear full-face helmets with the HANS device, five-point safety harnesses, and fire-resistant clothing, there would probably be very few traffic fatalities (excluding pedestrians and bicyclists who get hit by cars). The reason we don't is that it would be prohibitively expensive, and the brutal reality is that we make those kinds of safety/cost tradeoffs all the time

But the operator of any product has to take a reasonable amount of care. If you're using a power saw, it's your responsibility to make sure your fingers aren't in the way.

take care, Scott Modless Wonder #8

Reply to
Scott Stevenson

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Bullet proof glass would be a nice option, maybe we should force that also.

Happy modeming, Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill