E303 cam woes

Hey there, I installed a Ford Racing E303 cam this weekend in my 91 5.0, and now it's running like crap. Here's what's happening: after the car sits for a good amount of time, it will fire right up and stay running, although a huge puff of white smoke will come out the tailpipes. It'll idle pretty good, but seems quite rough for the E cam. Now once the motor reaches normal operating temp., if you shut if off it takes a good amount of time to get it up and running again. It'll start right up, but idle surge like crazy (rev to 1200, drop to

500, back up to 1000, and then usually it dies). I have a few questions....#1 does anyone know if ford racing provides any kind of spec. as to where to set the timing? I have it set at stock timing right now (10 degrees BTDC). Some guys that I work with said that since it is more agressive than stock, it may need to be set to like 14 or 16 degrees. Any input on that issue would be great.

#2 I'm pretty positive that I did not put enough RTV on the gasket where the lower intake manifold meets the heads. I put a nice bead of rtv where the heads meet the block, and then installed the new gastket, but never put another bead of rtv on top of the gasket. Could this be one of the reasons the car is running so shitty? There is some oil leaking out of the back two corners there, so that could also maybe be causing a vacuum leak. Any tips on how to solve this are more than welcome. Oh, by the way my car is an auto and ford racing says it's 50 state legal with a 5 speed...maybe there's enough difference between the t-5 and aod's cpu to make this cam incompatible. Please help!

Reply to
KICKERSCRT

There's a solid clue. White smoke will come from either transmission fluid or coolant getting into the combustion chambers. Check your vacuum tree: if you find the inside of the hoses to be oily, it's probably transmission fluid comming through the modulator valve. Otherwise, I'd strongly suspect a head gasket/coolant passage problem.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams