RTV gasket or Rubber gasket?

Purchased a transmission filter kit for my 2006 Dodge caravan 3.3L from NAPA. Kit has , filter, O ring and rubber transmission pan gasket. This will be first filter and fluid change on vehicle.

As I understand it, as the vehicle now stands the transmission pan gasket does not have a rubber gasket but Mopar ATF RTV MS-GF41 ( silicon? ) Will I have any known problems getting the pan off with this RTV?

The manual tells you to put a 1/8 inch bead of the above on the Transmission pan when replacing it. It also says put this RTV under the bolt heads. I want to use the rubber pan gasket that came with the kit.

Is there a preference between a rubber gasket and RTV?

Thank you in advance Denny B Rtv

Reply to
Denny B

My preference would be the rubber gasket. I think the manufacturers use the RTV because it's cheap and easy and most likely the RTV as well as the pan is installed by a robot.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Likewise.

Just don't overtighten those pan bolts, or you could potentially warp the pan. Then you'll need both the gasket and the RTV goop...

Reply to
Andy

I've used both with no problems. Personally I'd prefer to use the gasket becasue when of all the waiting times involved with using RTV (the time I used it was on a transmission side pan that was vertical, so I had to let the car drip overnight so that the gasket area would be clean).

I suspect that the situation where one uses RTV is when can't get a real gasket.

Reply to
zzyzzx